Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Tim Miller <ti...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2012/08/17 18:09:36 UTC

parser function tags in 1.5

Hello,
We recently updated cTAKES (http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/) to
openNLP 1.5, including retraining a parser wrapping the opennlp parser
on our clinical treebank.  I noticed when running that the parser no
longer outputs function tags.  For example, I get this output with 1.4:

    (TOP (S (NP-SBJ (PRP She)) (VP (MD will) (VP (VB follow) (PRT (RP
    up)) (PP (IN with) (NP (NN ENT))))) (. .)))

whereas I get this output with 1.5:

    (TOP (S (NP (PRP She)) (VP (MD will) (VP (VB follow) (PRT (RP up))
    (PP (IN with) (NP (NN ENT))))) (. .)))

(Note the first has NP-SBJ for the subject but the second doesn't.)
These are trained on the same training data.  Does anyone know what may
have changed between versions?  The tags are not essential but they are
in the training data and we had some downstream components that made use
of them as features.

--
Tim Miller, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Re: parser function tags in 1.5

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 08/18/2012 10:56 PM, Miller, Timothy wrote:
> I've found a workaround for this issue - the parser training process was simplified (which is awesome in general) but the -fun option seems to have been removed.  All that tag does is trigger a call to Parse.useFunctionTags(true).  I added that back in and was able to replicate the parse I want.

Thanks for reporting. Do you mind to open a jira issue? We should fix
this for 1.5.3.

Jörn

RE: parser function tags in 1.5