Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2004/10/09 17:10:46 UTC

XML Graphics hostname (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

On Oct 9, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> While we're talking about volunteers, when the resolution passes we
> will
> have some work to do, creating a charter, setting up a website for XML
> Graphics which will link to the two existing websites under XML and a
> few other things. I intent to do a good part of this but I hope I will
> get some help.

On that note... what will the new hostname (I think that's the
terminology) for the Apache XML Graphics be called?

We probably will need to 'vote' on this until after the Apache XML
Graphics PMC is created (if we even need to vote on this). My
preferences is for option [2], as it helps clarify and emphasize the
two aspects of the new project "xml" & "graphics", which I think will
help with branding. There may be other ideas on how it should look, but
these are a few

We've already pretty much decided that FOP[4] & Batik[5] will retain
their web site structure, so the new Apache XML Graphics site will have
links. I don't recall if there are any other projects that fall under
the umbrella, and didn't notice any in this thread[6].

[1]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/
[2]
http://xml-graphics.apache.org/
[3]
http://xml.graphics.apache.org/
[4]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/
[5]
http://xml.apache.org/batik/
[6]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?
listName=general@xml.apache.org&by=thread&from=814863

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: XML Graphics hostname (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I agree with Glen & Jeremias that [1] is probably best. One other idea
(which I don't like as much as [1]) is graphics.xml.apache.org

But it may make one thing Apache XML Graphics Project is a subproject
of Apache XML Project, which it's not.

I think [1] xmlgraphics.apache.org is the best choice.

Web Maestro Clay

On Oct 24, 2004, at 8:36 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Visually I like [2] better, but I think [1] will
> create fewer problems over time (for example, with the
> ML address, general@xmlgraphics.apache.org will
> probably cause fewer typing problems than
> general@xml-graphics.apache.org.)   So a slight
> preference for [1], although either is OK with me.
>
> I agree that [3] would not be a good idea.
>
> Glen
>
> --- Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> wrote:
>
>> I agree with your argument about emphasis, but [2]
>> would be a precedent
>> at Apache. Brian Behlendorf hinted at
>> "xmlgraphics.apache.org" which is
>> also my preference. [3] is probably not realistic.
>> Besides "xml-graphics"
>> would probably look peculiar besides "xmlbeans",
>> even thought they don't
>> have a space in the project name.
>>
>> We should decide on that real quick so I can request
>> the subdomain,
>> mailing lists (General and PMC) and Wiki.
>>
>> On 09.10.2004 17:10:46 Clay Leeds wrote:
>>> On that note... what will the new hostname (I
>> think that's the
>>> terminology) for the Apache XML Graphics be
>> called?
>>>
>>> We probably will need to 'vote' on this until
>> after the Apache XML
>>> Graphics PMC is created (if we even need to vote
>> on this). My
>>> preferences is for option [2], as it helps clarify
>> and emphasize the
>>> two aspects of the new project "xml" & "graphics",
>> which I think will
>>> help with branding. There may be other ideas on
>> how it should look, but
>>> these are a few
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/
>>> [2]
>>> http://xml-graphics.apache.org/
>>> [3]
>>> http://xml.graphics.apache.org/
>>

>> Jeremias Maerki

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> general-help@xml.apache.org

Web Maestro Clay

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I agree with your argument about emphasis, but [2] would be a precedent
at Apache. Brian Behlendorf hinted at "xmlgraphics.apache.org" which is
also my preference. [3] is probably not realistic. Besides "xml-graphics"
would probably look peculiar besides "xmlbeans", even thought they don't
have a space in the project name.

We should decide on that real quick so I can request the subdomain,
mailing lists (General and PMC) and Wiki.

On 09.10.2004 17:10:46 Clay Leeds wrote:
> On that note... what will the new hostname (I think that's the
> terminology) for the Apache XML Graphics be called?
>
> We probably will need to 'vote' on this until after the Apache XML
> Graphics PMC is created (if we even need to vote on this). My
> preferences is for option [2], as it helps clarify and emphasize the
> two aspects of the new project "xml" & "graphics", which I think will
> help with branding. There may be other ideas on how it should look, but
> these are a few

<snip/>