Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mikhail Kalkov <mi...@purplescout.se> on 2012/07/30 14:52:19 UTC

aspectj-maven-plugin:compile complianceLevel vs source

Hi,

I was looking for "complianceLevel" option for maven-eclipse-plugin the other day, and there was none. My intention was to set JDT preferences in a generated Eclipse project as follows:
  org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.source=1.5
  org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.codegen.targetPlatform=1.5
  org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.compliance=1.6
This way I would be able to build software for Java 5 yet still use @Override annotation on interface implementations, which was not allowed until Java 6. One valid question that somebody on this list asked me was what exactly compliance level means, and I was unable to answer it apart from the fact that it solves my problem and a couple guesses.

Now I've discovered that aspectj-maven-plugin's compile mojo already has a complianceLevel parameter [1]! Can somebody who used it explain the difference between it and source parameter or provide a docs reference? What happens if one parameter is set to 1.5 and another one to 1.6?

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/aspectj-maven-plugin/compile-mojo.html

Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalkov

Purple Scout AB
Software Developer

Address: Ă–stra Hamngatan 31, SE- 41110 Gothenburg, Sweden
Phone:   +46 (0) 732 - 051405
E-mail:  mikhail.kalkov@purplescout.se
Web:     www.purplescout.se