Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Luckhurst <rl...@resmaster.com> on 2007/03/21 04:20:06 UTC

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Xampp Apache on win 2003. Problem with setting up a Virtual Host

Hi Sander,

Thanks for your help and your explanations.

>> When I try and start Apache it fails and refuses to start with
>> nothing in the log files.

ST> Look in the Applications section in the Windows Event Viewer. That is
ST> where Apache logs before it opens its own log files.

There is nothing at all in the Application section of the Windows Event Viewer
related to Apache.

>> [Wed Mar 21 13:09:54 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to
>> replace stderr with error_log

ST> What is your ServerRoot? Does the logs directory exist under that
ST> ServerRoot?

The Server Roor (in httpd.conf) is

ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/xampp/apache"

That does contain a logs folder and contains the standard error and access logs.
There is no sign of the logs created by the virtual host.

If I uncomment the logs in the Virtual Host then Apache will not start.

>> I do not understand the no VirtualHosts message in the error log.

ST> Your VirtualHost header needs to match the NameVirtualHosts
ST> directive.  Try

ST> <VirtualHost 203.113.254.14:80>
ST>    ServerName print.book.resmaster.com
ST> </VirtualHost>

Fair enough. I have changed the header as you suggest and when I restart Apache
I no longer see the message about no virtual hosts.

>> I also do not understand the client denied message.

ST> Once you commented out the <Directory> stanza, the Options Indexes
ST> went away, and if directories higher in the hierarchy don't have
ST> Indexes defined, it'll deny a request for the generated directory
ST> index.  I would serve index.html, were there one.

OK. That makes sense.

I currently have the httpd-vhosts.conf as follows

NameVirtualHost 203.113.254.14:80

<VirtualHost 203.113.254.14:80>
ServerName print.book.resmaster.com
ServerAdmin hostmaster@resmaster.com
DocumentRoot "C:/www/docs"
ServerName print.book.resmaster.com
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.htm

#ErrorLog logs/print-error.log
#CustomLog logs/print-access.log
</VirtualHost>

<Directory "C:/www/cgi-bin">
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
AllowOverride Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
Options Indexes Includes ExecCGI MultiViews
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

</Directory>

I can restart Apache like this and I get no errors or warnings other than

[Wed Mar 21 14:13:09 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr with error_log
[Wed Mar 21 14:13:09 2007] [crit] (2)No such file or directory: unable to replace stderr with /dev/null
[Wed Mar 21 14:13:13 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr with error_log
[Wed Mar 21 14:13:13 2007] [crit] (2)No such file or directory: unable to replace stderr with /dev/null

If I try to access either darth.book.resmaster.com or print.book.resmaster.com I
get the 403 error

Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested directory.
There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If I comment out the Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf directive and restart
Apache I can see the darth.resmaster.com site no problems.

I would appreciate any further help

Regards,
Richard Luckhurst
Product Development