Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de> on 2007/01/24 19:37:46 UTC

OutOfMemoryErrors again

Rob Davies wrote in another thread:
> it would be great if you could produce a junit test case and attach it
> to an issue in our issue tracker -
> http://issues.apache.org/activemq/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa
> these are just the sort of cases we look for for testing n' fixing stuff!

JUnit test cases are great. However, I am not sure whether it is
possible to write them for the various OutOfMemoryErrors I encounter.
Such an error can occur everywhere if memory is tight and you cannot
ensure you can catch it and handle it properly.

Currently I encouter OutOfMemoryErrors (OOME) with the kaha persistence
manager when consuming messages from a topic. My test program writes a
lot of small messages (say 10 million) to a topic and consumes them in
another thread. I timed the two threads in a way that the consuming
thread kicks in only after the producing thread finished its work. The
result: The producer delivers the messages to the topic very fast.
However, while the consumer consumes, the application needs more and
more memory and more and more time for garbage collection to free less
and less space. Finally it gets stuck with an OOME. Could it be that the
persistence layer keeps references to the consumed messages?

My requirements are roughly 260 more or less small messages per second
with the topic being able to buffer messages for days to weeks.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

OpenPGP fingerprint: E4E4386515EE0BED5C162FBB5343461584B5A42E

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors again

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Albert,

yes they will - its all the same underlying issue

cheers,

Rob

Posted by Albert Strasheim <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hello all

Posted by goldi <go...@freenet.de>.
Hi everybody,

has this problem already been fixed? I also getting OOME with kaha
persistence adapter.

Greets Goldi

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.