Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Chris Kilding <ch...@chriskilding.com> on 2021/09/01 14:41:00 UTC

Re: Feature proposal: Dependency deprecation indicators

I'd like to try out some options for this feature by modifying Maven source. I could use some help knowing which parts of Maven would need to be modified...

## maven core

I assume any new deprecation property would need to be added to maven-repository-metadata/src/main/mdo/metadata.mdo, and then the MDO plugin would codegen the relevant classes from it.

The property will be optional (not required), so if it's not present then Maven should behave the same as it does today.

After that, I'd like to add something to the `mvn validate` phase that detects dependencies with deprecation markers and prints warnings about them. Where would I add this logic?

## maven dependency tree

I'd like to change maven-dependency-tree plugin so that it prints a [deprecated] marker next to any deprecated dependency.

Example:

    com.example:myproject:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
    \- com.example:foobar:jar:1.2.3:compile [deprecated]

I assume I'd have to modify DefaultDependencyNode#toNodeString() to do that. Would I also need to make the same change to VerboseDependencyNode?

Additionally it seems like this plugin depends on quite an old version of Maven (3.0.5). If I propose a change to the Maven repo metadata format in the main repo, would this mean that maven-dependency-tree has to depend on the latest Maven (3.8.3 or similar) in order to have access to the new deprecation property? Would updating the plugin's Maven dependency have any compatibility ramifications for users with old Maven versions?

Regards,

Chris

Re: Feature proposal: Dependency deprecation indicators

Posted by Chris Kilding <ch...@chriskilding.com>.
I have now created a Jira issue to move this forward:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7238

Regards,

Chris