Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Stuart D. Robertson II" <sr...@nvisia.com> on 2005/06/17 18:01:30 UTC

Testing Voice Toolkit 6 with RDCs

Hi Rahul.  I've just started playing with this in earnest, and
will be working pretty hard over the weekend to prepare for a
big demo.  The toolkit is a very nice improvement I can tell
right away.  I just pulled down the latest snapshot of RDCs, and
am working with the test jsps to make sure the basics work.

hello.jsp is perfect.  digits-test.jsp is almost there.  Prompt
fine, and it recognizes my input.  But I don't see any response
from RDC at that point, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm not
looking at the correct output, or because something is broken.
I'm going to play more today, but in between a busy meeting
schedule.  Do you have time to play with the new toolkit and WAS
6 WTE?  No problem if not, and I'll hopefully be able to work
through any issues.  It's just that last weekend makes me
nervous because I thought that at first too :-).

Take care,

Stu

Re: RDC: Issue with IBM Voice Toolkit 6 and RDCs

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com> wrote on 06/21/2005 02:14:44 PM:
> And that turned out to be exactly the problem :-)
>
> I had moved the JSPs to their own subdir in my project, but failed to
> do the same for their configs.
>
> My fault, but I'm going to look into changing the RDC logic so we
> give good errors when this happens.  This is the sort of thing our
> developers will undoubtedly do, and I'm going to be pestered with
> questions from others who make the same mistake I did.

True. Its actually a tag impl that calls c:import + x:parse which fails.

Re: RDC: Issue with IBM Voice Toolkit 6 and RDCs

Posted by Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com>.
And that turned out to be exactly the problem :-)

I had moved the JSPs to their own subdir in my project, but failed to
do the same for their configs.

My fault, but I'm going to look into changing the RDC logic so we
give good errors when this happens.  This is the sort of thing our
developers will undoubtedly do, and I'm going to be pestered with
questions from others who make the same mistake I did.

Thanks Rahul,

Stu

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com>.
I've been working with RDCs on the freshly released Voice Toolkit 6
for Rational Application Developer 6.

Focusing on the test jsps provided with the RDC disto, I'm finding
mixed results.  alpha-test, digit-test, ssn-test work fine. However
select1-test.jsp fails immediately with the following error (seen
from the Voice Server SystemOut.log):

[6/21/05 11:59:00:078 CDT] 2db4250d VXML          E   VoiceXML
document fatal error::01722173781177505@127.0.0.1:
Line  : 1
Column: 1
URI   : null
Msg   : Content is not allowed in prolog.
[6/21/05 11:59:00:078 CDT] 2db4250d VXML          E   VoiceXML
application DOM::01722173781177505@127.0.0.1:

[6/21/05 11:59:00:078 CDT] 2db4250d VXML          E   TRAS0014I: The
following exception was logged com.ibm.vxi.intp.BrowserProcException:
VXIContext::interpret:
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXIContext.interpret(VXIContext.java:512)
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VoiceBrowser.run(VoiceBrowser.java:570)
         at com.ibm.voice.server.vc.core.VContainer.dialogRun
(VContainer.java:383)
         at com.ibm.voice.server.vxp.VXPRuntime$RunWorker.runWork
(VXPRuntime.java:747)
         at com.ibm.voice.server.vxp.VXPWorker.run(VXPWorker.java:84)
         at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:912)
Caused by: error.badfetch:com.ibm.vxi.intp.CatchEvent: http://
localhost:9080/WebappKickstart_Web/rdc-test/select1-test.jsp:VXML
Document error:
Line  : 1
Column: 1
URI   : null
Msg   : Content is not allowed in prolog.
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXIContext.parseDocument(VXIContext.java:
1546)
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXIContext.getDocument(VXIContext.java:
1178)
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXIContext.fetchDocument(VXIContext.java:
1062)
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXIContext.interpret(VXIContext.java:327)
         ... 5 more
Caused by: com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXMLParserException: VXML Document error:
Line  : 1
Column: 1
URI   : null
Msg   : Content is not allowed in prolog.org.xml.sax.SAXException:
Line  : 1
Column: 1
URI   : null
Msg   : Content is not allowed in prolog.
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXMLParser.parse(VXMLParser.java:258)
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXMLParser.parse(VXMLParser.java:204)
         at com.ibm.vxi.intp.VXIContext.parseDocument(VXIContext.java:
1472)
         ... 8 more
.

[...]

And so on...

I'd like to find out if others are seeing this problem, and figure
out if it's an RDC issue or a IBM Voice Server issue.

I've looked at the voiceXML produced and I can't see the problem.
I've also tried taking everything out of the top of the JSP before
the <vxml... declaration, added an <?xml... declaration, and done
other things I could think of.  No matter what I get the same issue.

Any ideas?

Also, there's a bug in the Voice Toolkit 6 that makes the call
simulator get stuck sometimes on a certain remote URL.  So trying to
hit a different URL always ends up sending the one it's stuck on.
The only way I've found to get around this is to restart the whole
environment.  If anyone knows an easier way, please let me know.
I've just opened a level 2 PMR on this issue, so hopefully we won't
have to live with it for long.

Stu

Re: Testing Voice Toolkit 6 with RDCs

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 6/18/05, Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com> wrote:
> Thanks Rahul.  The Rhino library was the problem (as it said in the
> Readme - Doh!).  After upgrading that as per the instructions you
> included below, all of the RDCs that I tried worked as expected.

Glad to hear that Stu.

> One thing we will need to fix before we go into production is the
> e.printStackTrace() calls at various points in the code.  We should
> be able to convert those to use Jakarta Commons Logging so they'll be
> logged according to the application's configuration.  I can make the
> changes and send along a patch, but it probably won't be for a week
> or two.  Is that be best way to submit fixes and enhancements btw?

Yes, it is. Those are remnants of a logging related discussion we had
on this list a while ago. I'll probably have those changes in under a
week, so please check the latest code before you create any patches.

Thanks,
-Rahul

Re: Testing Voice Toolkit 6 with RDCs

Posted by Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com>.
Thanks Rahul.  The Rhino library was the problem (as it said in the
Readme - Doh!).  After upgrading that as per the instructions you
included below, all of the RDCs that I tried worked as expected.

For others who might be trying this, the key point is that Ibm's
Voice Toolkit 6 (for RAD 6) works very well for development.  I'm
running the application on WAS 6.  From talking to the toolkit
developers, the toolkit's test environment now uses the same code as
their server product, which I think is WebSphere voice server 5.1.
Big improvement over the previous toolkit, which had limited support
for VoiceXML, and only the main flow could be tested...though I never
actually got it to work.

Later this weekend and most of next week I'll be doing some
significant prototyping of applications we have planned with this
setup.  I'll certainly give feedback and let you know about how RDCs
are working out.  So far it looks very promising.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.