Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2015/06/03 19:12:28 UTC

Hadoop YARN Birds of a Feather (BOF) Session at Hadoop Summit San Jose 2015

Hi all,

We had a blast of a BOF session on Hadoop YARN at last year's Hadoop
Summit. We had lots of fruitful discussions led by many developers about
various features, their contributions, it was a great session overall.

I am coordinating this year's BOF as well and garnering topics of
discussion. A BOF by definition  involves on-the-spot non-planned
discussions, but it doesn't hurt to have a bunch of pre-planned topics for
starters.

YARN developers/committers, if you are attending, please feel free to send
me topics that you want to discuss about at the BOF session.

Hadoop users, you are welcome to attend and join the discussion around
Hadoop YARN. The meetup link is here:
http://www.meetup.com/Hadoop-Summit-Community-San-Jose/events/222465938/

Thanks all,
+Vinod

Re: Hadoop YARN Birds of a Feather (BOF) Session at Hadoop Summit San Jose 2015

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Sorry, missed responding to this. No registration is required, the conference will have ended by then.

Thanks
+Vinod

On Jun 3, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>> wrote:

Also, are Hadoop summit registrations required to attend the BoF?

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>> wrote:
Going through all Yarn "umbrella" JIRAs<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(Yarn)%20AND%20summary%20~%20umbrella%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20ASC> could be useful. May be, this is an opportunity to clean up that list. I looked at all New Features<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(Yarn)%20AND%20type%20%3D%20%22New%20Feature%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20ASC>, but that list is too long to go through.

--
Karthik Kambatla
Software Engineer, Cloudera Inc.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.
Following Sangjin's lead we have also put up the YARN Federation BoF deck
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12744547/Federation-BoF.pdf>in
the YARN-2915 JIRA.

One question we were consistently asked was, how will global scheduler
invariants be enforced in a Federated setting. We have been thinking about
it (with inputs from Karthik, Anubhav, Arun Suresh, Wangda, Jian, Zhijie
etc all) & have put up an initial proposal
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12744104/FEDERATION_CAPACITY_ALLOCATION_JIRA.pdf>for
the same in the JIRA.

We are looking for feedback from the larger YARN developer community.

Thanks,
Subru

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Thanks
+Vinod

On Jun 4, 2015, at 1:05 PM, Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for organizing the BoF meetup.

We have put up an initial proposal @YARN-2915<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-2915> on Federating YARN to make it elastically scalable. This is critical for us to scale out YARN to match the cluster sizes at Microsoft which are already at 10s of 1000s of nodes (and growing daily). BoF would be a great venue to discuss our proposal in more detail as we are looking for feedback from the larger YARN community.

Cheers,
Subru

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vinod,