Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com> on 2019/03/03 21:22:09 UTC

OT: Issues w/ hughes.net not accepting messages?

Has anyone else started seeing something similar in the last 2-3 weeks?

Running /var/spool/mqueue/x22LrU1S006228 (sequence 1 of 2)
<xy...@hughes.net>... Connecting to mx.hughes.net. via esmtp...
220 mx.hughes.net ESMTP
>>> EHLO mail.redfish-solutions.com
250-mx01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com says EHLO to 66.232.79.143:36344
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-XDUMPCONTEXT
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>>> MAIL From:<jo...@redfish-solutions.com>
451 4.7.1 66.232.79.143 You have exceeded your messaging limit.  Please try again later.
<xy...@hughes.net>... Deferred: 451 4.7.1 66.232.79.143 You have exceeded your messaging limit.  Please try again later.

There’s no way to signal to hughes.net that this is happening since you have to be a user to report a problem via the webforms or telephone.

I obviously can’t email support or postmaster because that gets rejected too.

It says “Please try again later” but never accepts a message and after 120 hours, the message is tossed without ever having been accepted.

It doesn’t give you a link explaining what’s happened or why or a way to appeal it.

And apparently 2-3 messages a week is “exceeding your messaging limit”.  WTF?

If they’re greylisting, it’s not being done correctly.

If they’re blacklisting, they should say so with a 5xx response and explain why (reputation, RBL, DKIM, SPF, etc).

Apparently operating email *is* more complicated than rocket science, because they can operate a satellite but can’t correctly configure a mail server.

I noticed that before this happened, smtp.hughes.net used to receive email (i.e. be their MXer), then it got switched to mx.hughes.net and this started happening.

If anyone is a hughes.net user and wants to call out this issue, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Philip