Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bing Yu <ic...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/27 03:42:15 UTC

how often do you boys restart your tomcat?

I find that, if I do not restart the master's tomcat for some days,
the load average will keep rising to a high level, solr become slow
and unstable, so I add a crontab to restart the tomcat everyday.

do you boys restart your tomcat ? and is there any way to avoid restart tomcat?

Re: how often do you boys restart your tomcat?

Posted by Bing Yu <ic...@gmail.com>.
I want to let system do the job instead of system adminm, beause I'm lazy ~ ^__^

But I just want a better way to fix the problem. restart server will
cause some other problem like I need to rebuild the changes happened
during the restart.

Posted by Dave Hall <da...@skwashd.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
It is definately Lucenes fieldCache making the trouble.
Restart your solr and monitor it with jvisualvm, especially OldGen heap.
When it gets to 100 percent filled use jmap to dump heap of your system.
Then use Eclipse Memory Analyzer http://www.eclipse.org/mat/ and
open the heap dump. You will see a pie chart and can easily identify
the largets consumer of your heap space.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.

Posted by Chamnap Chhorn <ch...@gmail.com>.
I often restarted the tomcat service before the memory reaches the os limit.
Usually, it eats up only 4 GB, but eventually it eats up 11GB.

--
Chhorn Chamnap
http://chamnapchhorn.blogspot.com/

Re: how often do you boys restart your tomcat?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/26/2011 7:42 PM, Bing Yu wrote:
> I find that, if I do not restart the master's tomcat for some days,
> the load average will keep rising to a high level, solr become slow
> and unstable, so I add a crontab to restart the tomcat everyday.
>
> do you boys restart your tomcat ? and is there any way to avoid restart tomcat?

I run Solr under the jetty included with the Solr examples.  With Solr
version 1.4.1, I've had over 60 days of uptime with no problem.  I am
now running 3.2.0, but things have been pretty volatile so I haven't
been able to accumulate any real uptime yet.  I don't expect any
problems, though.

Tomcat is something I've got little experience with, but that does sound
unusual.  Other groups in the company do use it.  When they start having
problems like this, it tends to be configuration issues, a bug in their
homegrown applications, or a problem with resources (usually RAM).

Shawn

Re: how often do you boys restart your tomcat?

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
Till now I used jetty and got 2 week as the longest uptime until OOM.
I just switched to tomcat6 and will see how that one behaves but
I think its not a problem of the servlet container.
Solr is pretty unstable if having a huge database.
Actually this can't be blamed directly to Solr it is a problem of
Lucene and its fieldCache. Somehow during 2 weeks runtime with searching
and replication the fieldCache gets doubled until OOM.

Currently there is no other solution to this than restarting your
tomcat or jetty regularly :-(