Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/18 18:32:33 UTC

JIRA problem

I can't seem to assign JIRAs to anyone but a few committer people.
Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it? Is this happening
to anyone else?

-Jay

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
To my best knowledge ICLA is required only for committers - people that do have commit bit on ASF repositories.

Contributors can’t commit their patch themselves and hence they have to attach their patch to JIRA where they implicitly agree with all the legal stuff. There is some license agreement about that, but I can’t find it right now.

Jarcec

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
I have been assigning people on confluence (they granted us access at that
time after some back and forth) we already have permission to-do that no
reason to talk to INFRA.

Everyone in the PMC should have access.

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
I once noticed Samza also had a similar problem and Jacob resolved it by
talking to the Apache people. We can probably ask him how he gets it done.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
Jay, I agree with you.

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
I do see separate concerns here, so let me describe how we’re addressing them in other projects where I’m involved. It doesn’t mean that Kafka need to follow them, just sharing my experience.

1) Submitting a patch to JIRA
No paper work required, all legalities are resolved implicitly by the fact that contributor submitted patch to JIRA.

There is small trouble with the fact that new contributor can’t assign the item to himself - this is the way JIRA is configured and you need to talk with Infra about changing that. I’ve tried to change that at some point in the past for my projects and I’ve failed. Feel free to ask again though :-)

2) Editing wiki
We’re giving edit privileges to anyone who asks for it. So far it worked very well for us.

3) Promoting contributor to committer
Do require ICLA to be signed and faxed to ASF.

Jarcec

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
I would assume that you will have to go to this page:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/KAFKA/roles

I don’t have access there, I’ve just replaced project name SQOOP with KAFKA :-)

Jarcec

Re: JIRA problem

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.