Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stephen Riek <st...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/12/12 03:54:57 UTC

DBCP could not obtain an idle db connection, pool exhausted

Just wondering how I could have ended up getting "DBCP could not obtain an idle db connection, pool exhausted" errors ? I've stopped sending requests to the server but the problem persists and it looks like I'll have to restart Tomcat.Surprised that the pool didn't automatically reclaim connections.
Thanks, Stephen.

---------------------------------

Re: DBCP could not obtain an idle db connection, pool exhausted

Posted by Leo Przybylski <le...@engr.arizona.edu>.
Hello,

I don't know if my issue is much related to yours, but let me enlighten
you with some results I have found from testing.

I used tomcat 4.1.12 with mysql 3.x and jdk1.3.1_03(06).

I found that when i set my idle connection count low in my server.xml I
would get "DBCP Driver : null " (something like that) errors. The odd
thing I found is that it should only do that when the mysql server is
denying connections (the maximum allowable connections to the server has
been reached). This is strange because that when I set my connection
count to 40 and mysql is configured to allow 100 connections, I find
only 12 actual connections are made to mysql.

When I raise the idle connections to unlimited, it seems that a large
majority of my connections that are used are idle connections. Only 2 or
3 actual connections are ever made to the mysql database server itself.
I also find myself getting the same errors that you are even those I
have it configured for unlimited idle connections and only a couple
actual connections are made to the database.

Do you find this to be accurate also?

-Leo

Problem with SSL on Tomcat 4.1.12 on win2k

Posted by talkingstone <st...@talkingstone.com>.
I apologize in advance if this has been covered but while trying to follow
some examples, SSL is not working properly.  It hangs during execution.  I'm
sure you probably need more info but I'm too green to know what you might
expect.

Also, please give me a few tips on "searching the list archive".  I've seen
that advice a few times but cannot find a searchable archive except the one
on jGuru.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: DBCP could not obtain an idle db connection, pool exhausted

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 05:55 AM 12/12/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>I am indeed Jacob, are you psychic ?

Yes, but please refrain from nominating me for "the biggest douche bag in
the universe" award.

NOTE:  If you do not watch South Park or didn't see the episode featuring
John Edwards, you can ignore the previous comment or read this synopsis:
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-344/epid-213373/

:-)

Jake

Posted by Leo Przybylski <le...@engr.arizona.edu>.
I use MySQL as well with "?autoReconnect=true", but I have been getting
this same error for awhile now.

-Leo

Posted by Stephen Riek <st...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Re: DBCP could not obtain an idle db connection, pool exhausted

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.