Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@apache.org> on 2024/01/24 10:16:10 UTC

[DISCUSS] Maven staging repository mandatory in VOTE

Hey everyone,

There are many ASF projects publishing artifacts to Maven repositories
and there are certain rules and guidelines [1, 2] in place for those
distributions. I assume that the PMC should ensure that the artifacts
there conform to the rules before releasing them officially thus I was
wondering if the presence of a staging repo should be mandatory in the
VOTE thread.

Maybe a different way to ask the question is if a maven release (or
more general a release of convenience binaries) requires a PMC vote or
not?

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/distribution.html
[2] https://infra.apache.org/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven staging repository mandatory in VOTE

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
But yes. Over the years we declared "We release sources ...". So it
may be still under-determined.

However, improving the release/incubator docs at the ASF level to
include a guideline for both what (nice) to do and how to do it should
help. The real world relies heavily on binary distributions and most
are "endorsed" by the (P)PMC.

Best,
tison.

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2024年1月24日周三 18:27写道:

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
> if the presence of a staging repo should be mandatory in the VOTE thread.

From a technical view, since the RM anyway stages and releases Maven

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.