Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2021/07/02 16:03:32 UTC

Beta for Apache NetBeans 12.5

Hi,

Is a beta needed for 12.5 ?

 We still need to validate signature snapshot for 12.4 before this.

Just a reminder to all commiters please flag the milestone to 12.5 on merge
it's ease to construct  Release Note.

Best Regards

Eric

Re: NETBEANS-189 Sql Auto complete PR-2820

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
I think a solution here is to not begin with your first change to the repo
until you have two or three committers to support you from beginning to end
of the process.

In the case of Eric Brasie, his explanation makes sense to me, his work
sounds ready, and it appears three files are impacted, however, from the
sounds of things, it does sound like a bit of a brittle solution.

Eric Barboni as release manager should have the final call though it would
be great if Matthias would weigh in too since he’s been quite involved with
this one, to give his final approval.

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Jakub Herkel <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> (explain from scratch what we’re trying to achieve with this pr and
> precisely what code needs to be put where in our repo to achieve that)?
>
> If not, i.e., if you cannot account for each line of code that you’re
> proposing to add, if you have hacked things together here and there, if
> there are parts that you don’t completely understand or can’t explain —
> then you probably don’t want this code in our repo yourself, because then
> there’ll be a lot of problems that someone else (who? you?) will be fixing
> to potentially even get NetBeans even to start.
>
> Gj
>

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 02:20, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2820
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 6:50 PM Geertjan Wielenga
>> <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you point to the PR you’re referring to?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Sql Auto complete PR(Re: Beta for Apache NetBeans 12.5)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Hoppe <ty...@gmail.com>.
Did you check a JIRA ticket?

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [External] : Re: Beta for Apache NetBeans 12.5

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

On 4. 7. 2021, at 18:59, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 at 17:03, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>> wrote:
Is a beta needed for 12.5 ?

Well, there were two reasons we ended up with a beta for 12.4.
Primarily it was to allow a VSCode plugin update.  But there was also

For the purpose of VSIX release and its more frequent updates and testing, it is not necessary. I proposed an extra NBLS VSIX release some in May and nobody objected:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/netbeans-dev/202105.mbox/%3c77C831DF-E5EB-43F3-90A1-3CED0D8C7766@ORACLE.COM%3e<ht...@ORACLE.COM>>

Jaroslav and me are going to do one VSIX release mid July. So if this can save Release manager time and work then 12.5 Beta is not necessary due to VSIX.
VSIX release description:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Language+Server+VSIX
Martin

the thought that by having a voted beta, it can be more widely
publicised and get testing of newer features before freeze.  We're not
meant to publicise the non-voted beta / rc builds elsewhere than this
list.

However, I'm not sure the 12.4 beta was early enough to make best use
of this, and perhaps neither will the 12.5 if sticking to schedule?

Could consider a vote on the first build at freeze instead and
allowing that (as beta or rc1) to be publicised wider for testing
instead if we do want that?  IMO it might be good to have a beta / rc
build that can be linked in on the website, etc.  OTOH it's some extra
work for the RM to deal with.

We still need to validate signature snapshot for 12.4 before this.

Yes, and also the module spec version increment?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Branching VSNetBeans 12.4.301 tomorrow was: Beta for Apache NetBeans 12.5

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 16:36, Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you guys,
> the simpler we can keep it, the better. I've created a PR:
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans-jenkins-lib/pull/29/ for your
> consideration.

Agreed for now.  Added a couple of comments on the PR.  Suggestions
for build tweaks were not just with this in mind though.

Be aware that I think sigtests and spec version increments from 12.4
are still pending.  Possibly not an issue for this?  Definitely for
12.5 branching.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you guys,
the simpler we can keep it, the better. I've created a PR:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-jenkins-lib/pull/29/ for your
consideration.
-jt

PS: If we fail generating the sources with the TPL job, I can generate them
manually.

út 13. 7. 2021 v 16:08 odesílatel Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your reply Eric!

  I think you need to create the new "vs*branch entry in the json. I'm not
> sure of the Regexp detection and I hope it's not locked to master or
> release* .
> Just for simplicity do PR if you want but just direct commit is fine too.
> It's only working if pushed.

+1

> We may also add to the build itself to produce vsix

Yes, that would be excellent! We want to release new version of .vsix
everytime NetBeans version is released!

Posted by Eric Barboni <Er...@irit.fr>.
Hi Jaroslav,

 I think you need to create the new "vs*branch entry in the json. I'm not sure of the Regexp detection and I hope it's not locked to master or release* .
Just for simplicity do PR if you want but just direct commit is fine too. It's only working if pushed.

We may also add to the build itself to produce vsix if branches start with vs.
Let me know and eventually we can synchronize on slack for feedback.

Happy to help to make release "easier"

Best Regards
Eric

I create a branch called vsnetbeans124-3 and then I'd like to execute the parametrized build of https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-vscode/ job to create the `.vsix` binary. However, to make sure the changeset is recognized via the downloaded meta/netbeansrelease.json file, I need to create a pull request for the https://github.com/apache/netbeans-jenkins-lib

With meta/netbeansrelease.json file in, I can run the https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-vscode/ job and get the properly labeled binary. However we'll have to vote over sources as well. They are usually produced by https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.