Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com> on 2011/06/28 19:04:30 UTC

NullPointerException when running multiple reducers with Hadoop 0.22.0-SNAPSHOT

Hi,
I am using Apache Whirr to setup an Hadoop cluster on EC2 using Hadoop
0.22.0 SNAPSHOTs (nightly) builds from Jenkins. For details, see [1,2].
(Is there a better place where I can get nightly builds for Hadoop?)

I have a Reducer which does not emit any (key,value) pairs (it generates
only side effect files). When I run using only one reducer everything seems
fine. If I setup multiple reducers, each one generating different side effect
files, I get a NullPointerException:

 WARN  Exception running child : java.lang.NullPointerException
   at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLogAppender.flush(TaskLogAppender.java:96)
   at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLog.syncLogs(TaskLog.java:239)
   at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1153)

Have you ever seen this exception/stacktrace?

My driver is here [3] and the reducer is here [4].

Any help?

Regards,
Paolo

 [1] https://github.com/castagna/tdbloader3/blob/master/hadoop-ec2.properties