Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Vincent J. Buonassisi" <vj...@vuit.com> on 2003/05/29 01:54:36 UTC

error starting apache w/ mod_jk2

hi,

i am using apache 2.0.45 and tomcat 4.1.24 on redhat 8.0.  i am able to
start tomcat just fine and am able to connect to it thru my web
browser.  but, when i start up apache i get the following error:

[Wed May 28 15:40:32 2003] [notice] Digest: generating secret for
digest authentication ...
[Wed May 28 15:40:32 2003] [notice] Digest: done
[Wed May 28 15:40:33 2003] [error] mod_jk child init 1 0
[Wed May 28 15:40:33 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)
configured -- resuming normal operations

i have followed the basic setup steps that i found in a howto guide.  i
have also made sure the socket file has the correct permissions:

[tomcat4@pk1 conf]$ ll /var/tomcat4//work/
total 16
drwxrwxrwx    4 root     tomcat4      4096 May 28 16:24 ./
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 May 22 12:37 ../

my jk2.properties file looks as follows:

# Set the desired handler list
handler.list=apr,request,channelUnix

#
channelUnix.file=/var/tomcat4/work/jk2.socket

# Just to check if the the config  is working
shm.file=/var/tomcat4/work/jk2.shm

# This will enable the starting of the Tomcat from mod_jk2
apr.jniModeSo=/etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk2.so

and, my workers2.properties file looks as follows:

# Shared memory handling. Needs to be set.
[shm]
file=/etc/httpd/logs/shm.file
size=1048576

# Example UNIX domain socket
[channel.un:/var/tomcat4/work/jk2.socket]
tomcatId=localhost:8109
debug=0

# define the worker
[ajp13:/var/tomcat4/work/jk2.socket]
channel=channel.un:/var/tomcat4/work/jk2.socket

# Announce a "status" worker
[status:status]

# URI mapping
[uri:/examples/*]
worker=ajp13:/var/tomcat4/work/jk2.socket

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
worker=status:status

can someone please give some hints at what i should look at to make
this configuration work?

thanks,

vince

Re: error starting apache w/ mod_jk2

Posted by Geralyn M Hollerman <gm...@louisiana.edu>.
Chong Yu Meng wrote:

> Vincent J. Buonassisi wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > i am using apache 2.0.45 and tomcat 4.1.24 on redhat 8.0.  i am able
> > to start tomcat just fine and am able to connect to it thru my web
> > browser.  but, when i start up apache i get the following error:
> >
> > [Wed May 28 15:40:32 2003] [notice] Digest: generating secret for
> > digest authentication ...
> > [Wed May 28 15:40:32 2003] [notice] Digest: done
> > [Wed May 28 15:40:33 2003] [error] mod_jk child init 1 0
> > [Wed May 28 15:40:33 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)
> > configured -- resuming normal operations
>
> Vincent,
>
> That does not look like an error. An annoyance maybe. In any case, you

I hate to break in like this, but I get that error as well; I'm curious
- it doesn't seem to cause any obvious problems, but it does say
"[error]" - should I be concerned that there's something wrong that I
don't see?

Thanks!
---
Lynn Hollerman.

Re: error starting apache w/ mod_jk2

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Hello Vincent,

Pascal Chong is me. I use the "pseudonym" for 2 reasons :

1. Most Caucasians have difficulty parsing Chinese names -- they don't
know which is my family name and which my given name. This results in
some bizarre things like being called Mr Meng, or hey, Yu. Having an
English name helps.

2. Pascal is a name I had to adopt when I was studying in the l'Institut
Franco-Singaporien (the French-Singapore Institute). Everyone had a
French name there because my French lecturers had difficulty pronouncing
our Chinese names, which, though sounding far sexier when said with a
french accent, were often twisted in ways we could never have imagined.

On to your question :

If you notice, the entry in the error_log says : "[notice]" not
"[error]". I have a theory on this, but I'm not sure if it is correct :

Some contribution was probably made to the mod_jk2 code base and/or
documentation by a Japanese. The reason for this assumption is the look
and feel of the documentation pages for mod_jk2 which differ from the
rest of the Tomcat documentation. There are other clues in the error
messages. This is significant because I am thinking that the phrase
"mod_jk child init 1 -1" actually refers to a one-to-one or
non-load-balanced configuration. In other words, it should read "mod_jk
child init 1 - 1". Seen in this light, the error that you saw may seem
to indicate that one part of your configuration is not being seen by
mod_jk2. This would align with my own impressions of Japanese software
(yes, I have some experience, having worked with Japanese wafer
probers). But again, this is just conjecture. The developers of mod_jk2
have been silent on this list, so we may never know.

Regards,
pascal chong

Posted by "Vincent J. Buonassisi" <vj...@vuit.com>.
hi,