Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ichasco <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2007/10/15 17:21:26 UTC

Very newbie question

Hi all,

I have just started with maven and i have some questions. I have read the
guide to creating archetype and i do not understand very well it.

I know that i have to create an archetype.xml, pom.xml, ... but where i have
to saved all these files? in .m2? where are stored archetypes?

Thanks

Re: Very newbie question

Posted by Gisbert Amm <gi...@webde.de>.
Doesn't
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/examples/simple.html
help you?

Have you had a look at

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
and
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

already?

-Gisbert

ichasco wrote:
> Ok, it´s what i wanted: to create my own archetype (now i know that it is not
> recommended). Then, i have a new question. If i want to make a project with
> a structure like:
>
> root
>     src
>          java
>          test
>                testDB
>                testUnit
>     doc
>     build
>
> what i have to do?
>

> Wayne Fay wrote:
>
>>The question was really directed to the original poster, ichasco.
>>
>>I have seen other people new to Maven who seem to believe that they
>>must create archetypes themselves manually rather than simply reusing
>>the existing archetypes.
>>
>>I want to make sure that ichasco is not heading down the wrong path.
>>People who are new to Maven generally should not be creating
>>archetypes.
>>
>>Wayne
>>
>>On 10/15/07, Harlan Iverson <h....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>One application of it for me was a multi-project layout for an EAR with a
>>>myfaces web application, EJB3, a persistence archive, a custom login
>>>module,
>>>skeleton config files, etc. It's helpful if you create several projects
>>>using the same pattern.

>>>running

>>>me

>>>read

>>>where

>>>--
>>>Harlan Iverson
>>>http://blog.devspan.com

Gisbert Amm
Softwareentwickler Infrastruktur
Telefon: (0721) 91374 - 4224
Telefax: (0721) 91374 - 2740
E-Mail: gisbert.amm@1und1.de
Internet: www.1und1.de

1&1 Internet AG
Elgendorfer Strasse 57
56410 Montabaur

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Andreas
Gauger, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Norbert
Lang, Achim Weiss

Re: Very newbie question

Posted by ichasco <ch...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Very newbie question

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Very newbie question

Posted by Harlan Iverson <h....@gmail.com>.
One application of it for me was a multi-project layout for an EAR with a
myfaces web application, EJB3, a persistence archive, a custom login module,
skeleton config files, etc. It's helpful if you create several projects
using the same pattern.

On 10/15/07, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just curious, why do you think you need to CREATE an archetype? Most
> people will simply USE an archetype that has been previously created.
>
> "mvn archetype:create ..." is simply the command to create a new
> project using an archetype. I'd be very surprised that a new user
> would want to create an archetype.
>
> What exactly are you hoping to do with Maven2?
>
> Wayne
>
> On 10/15/07, Harlan Iverson <h....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > An archetype is installed the same way as a normal artifact; so running
> 'mvn
> > install' in the directory will do it.
> >
> > In case you haven't seen it, this guide to creating archetypes helped me
> > along:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html
> >
> > Harlan
> >
> > On 10/15/07, ichasco <ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have just started with maven and i have some questions. I have read
> the
> > > guide to creating archetype and i do not understand very well it.
> > >
> > > I know that i have to create an archetype.xml, pom.xml, ... but where
> > > have
> > > to saved all these files? in .m2? where are stored archetypes?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Harlan Iverson
> > http://blog.devspan.com

Harlan Iverson
http://blog.devspan.com

Re: Very newbie question

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Very newbie question

Posted by Harlan Iverson <h....@gmail.com>.
An archetype is installed the same way as a normal artifact; so running 'mvn
install' in the directory will do it.

In case you haven't seen it, this guide to creating archetypes helped me
along: http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html

Harlan

On 10/15/07, ichasco <ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just started with maven and i have some questions. I have read the
> guide to creating archetype and i do not understand very well it.
>
> I know that i have to create an archetype.xml, pom.xml, ... but where i
> have
> to saved all these files? in .m2? where are stored archetypes?
>
> Thanks

Harlan Iverson
http://blog.devspan.com