Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Srinivasa Dara <sr...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/17 18:49:25 UTC

Issue with Subversion client - svn command line interface - Spaces in the message

Hi,

I am currently seeing below issue with subversion command line..more
details below:

I am using command line version of svn, version 1.6.11 (r934486
<https://code.google.com/p/svnbook/source/detail?r=934486>) in
GNU/Linux

When I run any svn command with -m option which has spaces in the
message, throwing below error:

svn: Illegal repository URL ''

Example:
svn mkdir <URL> -m "Message with spaces does not work"

Output:
svn: Illegal repository URL ''

Note: I am using other machine with same OS and svn version, it works
with spaces in the message.

Appreciate if you have a solution or a fix.

Thanks,

Srinivasa Dara

Posted by Srinivasa Dara <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried as per your suggestion, now getting different error:

svn mkdir -m "message with spaces" <URL>
svn: Local, non-commit operations do not take a log message or revision
properties

svn mkdir -m "message_with_no_spaces" <URL>
Committed revision <Revision number>

Any idea?

-Dara

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
Try:

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 17, 2014, at 11:49, Srinivasa Dara <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using command line version of svn, version 1.6.11 (r934486) in GNU/Linux

Which Linux, specifically?

Can you try a newer version of Subversion? 1.6.x and earlier are no longer supported.

> When I run any svn command with -m option which has spaces in the message, throwing below error:
>
> svn: Illegal repository URL ''
>
> Example:
> svn mkdir <URL> -m "Message with spaces does not work"
>
> Output:
> svn: Illegal repository URL ''
>
> Note: I am using other machine with same OS and svn version, it works with spaces in the message.

I’ve never seen this problem before.

What shell are you using?

Do you have any shell aliases defined regarding the svn command that might be interfering?