Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Fotis Jannidis <Fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> on 2000/02/18 00:08:40 UTC

fop 0.12.1

I am packing the distribution files for fop 0.12.1. Until now only the jar file was
distributed. I would like to change this and and distribute Fop the same way xalan or
xerces are packed: the jar file comes together with the documentation. I have written
some small example files which could go into this too. Source should be distributed
separately.
Do you agree?

Fotis

Re: fop 0.12.1

Posted by Stephan Albers <St...@af-software.de>.
Hani ElAbed schrieb:

> I will be working systematically and relentlessly at making FOP
> capable of being previewed by the AWT previewer then printed to paper via
> Java 2D. Once finished, I plan to make all my changes available
> to xml.apache.org.

Should already be done and in CVS. Stanislaw Gorkhover sended the
sources.

Stephan

Re: fop 0.12.1

Posted by Hani ElAbed <ha...@elabed.net>.
Greetings,

My view on this one is simple, just put the whole
thing in one zip, jar, tar, sit(Macs) or whatever the
compression utility "du Jour" is. Lets' not fool
ourselves here, the thing(FOP) needs work and without source
code, we won't be able to work on it, correct ??

Have one directory with

/docs
/src( please put all *.java classes, don't rely on
        dynamically created *.java files via make. )
/lib
/other stuff..

I finally got 0.12.0 up and running on top of xerces and
xalan. I am not a unix programmer; I use Codewarrior on
NT and once things work, I will be moving them to Linux and
the Mac if need be.

To my sadness, I found out that some *.java files get created
by the make utility( argh..... )

Well, guess what!! I have never gotten
a make utility to work to my satisfaction. I can bearly read
the make script language and I care less to learn about it.

This meant that I didn't have access to some *.java files and
I had to replace them with *.class files and compile with those.

I will be working systematically and relentlessly at making FOP
capable of being previewed by the AWT previewer then printed to paper via
Java 2D. Once finished, I plan to make all my changes available
to xml.apache.org.

I do appreciate that you will be incorporating examples with
the new release, I need all the help I can get in figuring out
the Formatted Objects(FO) specs.

I do urge you to have one complete zip file that we can download
and end up with the whole thing, without the need to go and fish
out things from COCOON !!

Currently, I got both the PDFRenderer and AWTRenderer and their
supporting classes to work with xerces(XML parser) and Xalan(XSL
Transformer). Next I will be trying to work on making the header(
region before) and footer(region after) work properly, later I want
to make sure that the text stops overwriting itself, then I will
try to make the tables go from one page to another without overwriting
the footer(region after). And on and on...

Again, I will be bringing everything back to xml.apache.org once
I have something workable. This is my way of thanking all of you
who have done all this work so far.

Please, I urge you to give us one complete zip with the whole
enchilada, source code and all.

Thank you

Hani
 --