Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2005/07/31 23:36:25 UTC

Re: Quick evaluation of Cocoon Portal Engine as forrest:views implementation

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> When you mean using "Cocoon Portlets rather then views" and dropping the
> whole view implementation, then no. There is more to view then the scope
> of portlets.

It seems to me that you are a bit on the defensive side, and this mail
does not seem to be constructive.

My first reaction to the coplet stuff was "Forrest is not a portal!",
but then I tried to understand better, and it seems to make more sense.

I'm not saying that I want it, but I agree with Ross that there is some
interesting stuff there.

Maybe reading this could help in understanding why Forrest as a portal
could make sense:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101431895118349

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Quick evaluation of Cocoon Portal Engine as forrest:views implementation

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 23:36 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > When you mean using "Cocoon Portlets rather then views" and dropping the
> > whole view implementation, then no. There is more to view then the scope
> > of portlets.
>
> It seems to me that you are a bit on the defensive side, and this mail
> does not seem to be constructive.

You are right, I will play around with the Cocoon Portal, before I will
enter this discussion again. ;-)

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Quick evaluation of Cocoon Portal Engine as forrest:views implementation

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> My first reaction to the coplet stuff was "Forrest is not a portal!",
> but then I tried to understand better, and it seems to make more sense.
>
> I'm not saying that I want it, but I agree with Ross that there is some
> interesting stuff there.

:-)

I'm not saying I want it either. I'm simply saying that we should
explore it.

> Maybe reading this could help in understanding why Forrest as a portal
> could make sense:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101431895118349

Yes. I agree this is an interesting thread (that takes me back a very
long time too ;-)

It is great to see how close we are too the original concept, but also a
shame that we are so far from the implementing the complete wish list.

Ross