Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/21 21:06:31 UTC

AOO on Nexus 7 and the Kim Komando Show

Howdy,

For those who do not know who Kim Komando is, she hosts a rather successful
radio talk show dealing with digital consumer products.

This last weekend's show included a call in about speech recognition and
OpenOffice, and the Nexus 7.

The host explained that they would be putting up a quick tutorial on their
website, www.komando.com/ , showing hot to hook this up on the Nexus 7.

So - does AOO actually run on a Nexus 7, I really don't know and if their
is any known problems does anyone happen to have a contact with the show so
that we could help them put this together.

Thanks

//drew

Re: AOO on Nexus 7 and the Kim Komando Show

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 22, 2013, at 17:33 , Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 22.10.2013 22:31, schrieb Louis Suárez-Potts:
>>>
>> @ all (including me, who is lazier than most and even more shameless): please bottom post. :-)
>>
>> louis
>
> Louis, thanks. But I wouldt like a little bit more.

Well, so would we all :-)

?

> I think, that nearly everybody uses a mail client which is able to handle threats.

"Threats"?

Oh, you mean "threads." Sorry, my error. I misread your typo.

> It would be much more easy and time saving (for all) to follow a thread (and participate), when mails are short and not containing all ever given answers.
>
> Don't take it only as criticism or disapproval but as an "enhancement issue".

Ah. I see. For a moment there I was actually thinking that you were criticizing some of us here—and without even a smiley, to show that, Hey, this is really not that serious an issue but...

> --
> Grüße
>
> Günter Marxen

Cheers,
Louis

Re: AOO on Nexus 7 and the Kim Komando Show

Posted by Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 22 Oct 2013, at 16:20 , Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> wow, all good stuff guys.
>
> Turns out the website (show) already lists an ODF mobile reader:
> http://www.appbrain.com/app/openoffice-document-reader/at.tomtasche.reader
>
> Also, the request from the caller was not about reading ODF files, rather
> creating files using voice-to-text and was looking for someting other then
> Dragon Speak pro (IIRC) on his desktop old XP machine) for use by his
> special needs child.
> So before I, or anyone, writes something on this maybe if the collective
> intelligence on this list could shot some ideas off on the requirement -
> honestly I would not know what to say.
>
> Thanks,

Yes, the point is to have an editor — that is, something that can create files, not just read them, on a mobile.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
wow, all good stuff guys.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-10-22, at 14:21 , Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>
>> (BTW, there are no 800 lb. gorillas :-) )
>>
>> Okay, but arguendo the mighty weight of Google's omnipresence, I'd be curious to learn what kind of uptake there will be of the app. Given their deployment of Docs & other Drive tools, I suspect there'll be improvements, but erratically.
>>

> IMHO there is probably opportunity for an app that is a bit more open
> in what it connects to.  The free Google apps appear to be bolted to
> Google Drive.  But an app that supports DropBox, Sky Drive, Google
> Drive, iCloud, ownCloud, etc., could be interesting.

Indeed. That's why I'm working with Peter of UX Write. He's also quite interested in simplifying the process by which a mobile app *would* connect to n+1 number of cloud services. Right now, as you note, there is a mess of more or less proprietary (or at least idiosyncratic) APIs, protocols, code dances that a developer must make bend his app to.

What is wanted (by yours truly) is for UX Write to work better with ODF…..

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

-louis

Re: AOO on Nexus 7 and the Kim Komando Show

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-10-22, at 13:38 , Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> That time is now.
>>
>> The 800-lbs gorilla is Google and their QuickOffice purchase, which
>> they are now making available for free on iOS and Android:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/+GoogleDrive/posts/Gz5GpSeCW4x
>>
>> I don't think it supports ODF, but otherwise is a strong editor suite.
>> So it does make it hard for any new competitor, since they would
>> essentially be competing against a free, fully-featured app.
>
> is it a native client?

Yes.

-Rob

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
One consideration is power consumption, cost is another, multi-vendor is
another. We can also learn from history that volumes determine markets and
the Android/Arm combo is sweeping the planet. It's not in our power to stop
that any more than is would be to ignore Windows on desktops. If Intel
can't stop it I doubt we have any chance of doing so. If "AOO/odf" editing
wants to get out there as far as possible it needs to go to any large
volume platform and Android/ARM already looks set to be the biggest. Looks
like its easier for ARM to scale up and keep costs and power consumption
down than it is for x86 to scale down without melting your device or a hole
in your pocket ;-).

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications <https://theingots.org/community/faq#7.0>

Headline points in the 2014 and 2015 school league tables

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

The Learning Machine Limited, Reg Office, Unit 4D Gagarin, Lichfield
Road Industrial Estate, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7GN. Reg No:
05560797, Registered in England and Wales.

Re: AOO on Nexus 7 and the Kim Komando Show

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks, I did not think AOO ran directly on the Nexus.
>
> hmm - well, I checked the show site and they already posted the other items
> I heard mentioned form the weekend show, but nothing regarding this callers
> question.
>
> I suppose it is worth an email to the show producer. Unfortunately I'm
> running short on time for today already, but I'll get that done and sent
> tomorrow and will cc the list.
>
> //drew
>

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:06:31 -0400
> > Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > For those who do not know who Kim Komando is, she hosts a rather
> > successful
> > > radio talk show dealing with digital consumer products.
> > >
> > > This last weekend's show included a call in about speech recognition
> and
> > > OpenOffice, and the Nexus 7.
> > >
> > > The host explained that they would be putting up a quick tutorial on
> > their
> > > website, www.komando.com/ , showing hot to hook this up on the Nexus
> 7.
> > >
> > > So - does AOO actually run on a Nexus 7, I really don't know and if
> their
> > > is any known problems does anyone happen to have a contact with the
> show
> > so
> > > that we could help them put this together.
> > >
> > There is a version at
> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andropenoffice
> >
> > I installed this on my Nexus 7 some weeks ago; as far as I have  tried,
> it
> > works. But as my interest is writing I prefer to write/edit on a real
> > laptop/desktop, so haven't progressed very far with this version.
> >
> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Interesting in any case considering the requirements ...hmmm

MzK

"There's so much boldness in living life this way ...
 we did it all, and no one can take it away from us."
                            -- Diana Nyad

Re: AOO on Nexus 7 and the Kim Komando Show

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.