Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu> on 2005/08/01 18:01:27 UTC

Occasional errors with LDAP

All,

I could really use some help on this one - every once in a while, I get
this strange LDAP error when trying to login to my publications (and I
won't be able to login at all, ever, after receiving this error).  It's
seems to be random (I'm sure it's not), but when I click on Login as
Editor, I get this:

Unprocessed Continuation Reference(s)

org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.CachingException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.BuildException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException: Exception when trying to
configure: org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser

cause:  javax.naming.PartialResultException: Unprocessed Continuation
Reference(s); remaining name 'dc=company,dc=com'

full exception chain stacktrace:

org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.CachingException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.BuildException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException: Exception when trying to
configure: org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FilePolicyManager.buildPolicy(FilePolicyManager
.java:140)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FilePolicyManager.buildSubtreePolicy(FilePolicy
Manager.java:110)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FilePolicyManager.getPolicies(FilePolicyManager
.java:365)
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.URLPolicy.obtainPolicies(URLPolicy.java:67)
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.URLPolicy.getRoles(URLPolicy.java:79)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyAuthorizer.authorizePolicy(PolicyAuthoriz
er.java:137)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyAuthorizer.authorize(PolicyAuthorizer.jav
a:101)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.DefaultAccessController.authorize(DefaultAccess
Controller.java:117)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.BypassableAccessController.authorize(Bypassable
AccessController.java:154)
	at
org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.acting.DelegatingAuthorizerAction.doAct(Dele
gatingAuthorizerAction.java:67)
	at
org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.acting.AccessControlAction.act(AccessControl
Action.java:83)
	at
org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.acting.DelegatingAuthorizerAction.act(Delega
tingAuthorizerAction.java:49)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ActTypeNode.invoke(Ac
tTypeNode.java:124)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:46)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PreparableMatchNode.i
nvoke(PreparableMatchNode.java:130)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:68)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(P
ipelineNode.java:138)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:68)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(
PipelinesNode.java:92)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ConcreteTreeProcessor.process
(ConcreteTreeProcessor.java:234)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ConcreteTreeProcessor.process
(ConcreteTreeProcessor.java:176)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreePro
cessor.java:243)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:
1123)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:358)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationH
andler.java:294)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:
567)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1807)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationCon
text.java:525)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1757)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:789)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:960)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:806)
	at
org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:
218)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:300)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:511)
Caused by: org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.CachingException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.BuildException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException: Exception when trying to
configure: org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.SourceCacheImpl.get(SourceCacheImpl.java:172)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FilePolicyManager.buildPolicy(FilePolicyManager
.java:138)
	... 37 more
Caused by: org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.BuildException:
org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException: Exception when trying to
configure: org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyBuilder.build(PolicyBuilder.java:260)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.SourceCacheImpl.buildObject(SourceCacheImpl.ja
va:196)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.cache.SourceCacheImpl.get(SourceCacheImpl.java:155)
	... 38 more
Caused by: org.apache.lenya.ac.AccessControlException: Exception when
trying to configure: org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileItemManager.loadItem(FileItemManager.java:
167)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileItemManager.loadItems(FileItemManager.java:
97)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileItemManager.<init>(FileItemManager.java:
72)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileUserManager.<init>(FileUserManager.java:
51)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileUserManager.instance(FileUserManager.java:
73)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileAccreditableManager.initializeUserManager(F
ileAccreditableManager.java:262)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.AbstractAccreditableManager.getUserManager(Abst
ractAccreditableManager.java:156)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyBuilder.getAccreditable(PolicyBuilder.jav
a:156)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyBuilder.buildPolicy(PolicyBuilder.java:
117)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyBuilder.buildPolicy(PolicyBuilder.java:
89)
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyBuilder.build(PolicyBuilder.java:258)
	... 40 more
Caused by:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Could
not read properties
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.initialize(LDAPUser.java:197)
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.configure(LDAPUser.java:119)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.file.FileItemManager.loadItem(FileItemManager.java:
164)
	... 50 more
Caused by: javax.naming.PartialResultException: Unprocessed
Continuation Reference(s); remaining name 'dc=company,dc=com'
	at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(LdapCtx.java:2766)
	at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(LdapCtx.java:2740)
	at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.searchAux(LdapCtx.java:1811)
	at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_search(LdapCtx.java:1734)
	at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_search(ComponentDirContex
t.java:368)
	at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.search(PartialCompos
iteDirContext.java:328)
	at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.url.GenericURLDirContext.search(GenericURLDirContex
t.java:340)
	at com.sun.jndi.url.ldap.ldapURLContext.search(ldapURLContext.java:494)
	at
javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.search(InitialDirContext.java:
238)
	at
org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.getDirectoryEntry(LDAPUser.java:467)
	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.initialize(LDAPUser.java:171)
	... 52 more

Stacktrace:

[...]

Before, in order to remove these, I just created a new publication,
copied over all of my files, then removed the old publication and
renamed the new pub to the old one and it was ok.  I don't really want
to do that anymore...  Can anyone give me some pointers as to what to
check or what could be causing this?  I'm on Lenya 1.2.4 and Jetty.
LDAP stuff was changed to protect the innocent.

Jon

Building discussion forum through lenya

Posted by sh...@tcs.com.
Hi all

Apache Lenya doesn't have a discussion forum as a predefined feature. It
would be very helpful If anybody could share one's experience with
building a discussion forum over Lenya,.

Thanks and regards
Shishir Bhasker Saxena
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Gateway Park, Road No.13,
MIDC, Andheri (E)
Mumbai - 400 093,Maharashtra
India
Mailto: shishir.saxena@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you

Re: Occasional errors with LDAP

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.
On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:57 PM, J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:

> Jonathan Linczak schrieb:
>> (...)
>> I went ahead and did this and found something that caught my eye.  As
>> I  clicked the "Login as Editor" link to the publication, some
>> notices  started appearing about a user I know of that was recently
>> removed from  Active Directory.  As a test, I went in and removed
>> username.iml  (again, being generic here) from
>> pubname/config/ac/passwd/ and then I  got another error when trying
>> to get the login box for the publication,  stating that it didn't
>> understand the user ID of [username].  I  immediately thought, I
>> wonder if it is checking all the users and their  permissions to the
>> site, and sure enough, after removing the entries  within the files
>> underneath of pubname/config/ac/policies/ I was able  to log in.  So
>> it seems to me that somehow all of the users and their  permissions
>> are being checked even before the user has the opportunity  to log
>> in.  Was this the intention?
>
> I can't reproduce this behavior myself; if I delete a user from LDAP,
> and try to log-on with this user in Lenya I simply get the standard
> "can't login" error, and have no trouble logging in afterwards with a
> still existing user.
>
> So I am frankly not sure what is going on in your case; whether it's a
> different behavior due to MSAD or whether the policy handling in your
> publication is different from the default publication.

Well, I am doing something slightly different.  I have assigned myself
and a couple of overall administrators to the Authoring section and
moved the groups review and edit to visitors only, and I believe this
is where the removed user was situated.  So perhaps this could be the
reason why it is doing that?

> Anyway I looked at the code in detail; and came to the conclusion that
> initialize() should not throw an exception in any case. Maybe this
> will solve your problem. I also added some more debugging messages.
> It would be great if you could try the new version of LDAPUser.java in
> your installation (just checked it in in BRANCH_1_2_X), and see if it
> corrects the problem you described. And if it doesn't, please post the
> full log trace.
>
> Please advise whether you are able to test it, and if it works (so I
> can check it into 1.4 as well)

I do have a development environment setup, but with so much work on the
books before the start of the school year, I won't be able to do any
testing for another couple of weeks.  Hopefully then I can get you the
feedback you need on the changes you have made.

Jon

Re: Occasional errors with LDAP

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Jonathan Linczak schrieb:

> (...)
>
> I went ahead and did this and found something that caught my eye.  As I
> clicked the "Login as Editor" link to the publication, some notices
> started appearing about a user I know of that was recently removed from
> Active Directory.  As a test, I went in and removed username.iml
> (again, being generic here) from pubname/config/ac/passwd/ and then I
> got another error when trying to get the login box for the publication,
> stating that it didn't understand the user ID of [username].  I
> immediately thought, I wonder if it is checking all the users and their
> permissions to the site, and sure enough, after removing the entries
> within the files underneath of pubname/config/ac/policies/ I was able
> to log in.  So it seems to me that somehow all of the users and their
> permissions are being checked even before the user has the opportunity
> to log in.  Was this the intention?

I can't reproduce this behavior myself; if I delete a user from LDAP,
and try to log-on with this user in Lenya I simply get the standard
"can't login" error, and have no trouble logging in afterwards with a
still existing user.

So I am frankly not sure what is going on in your case; whether it's a
different behavior due to MSAD or whether the policy handling in your
publication is different from the default publication.

Anyway I looked at the code in detail; and came to the conclusion that
initialize() should not throw an exception in any case. Maybe this will
solve your problem. I also added some more debugging messages.
It would be great if you could try the new version of LDAPUser.java in
your installation (just checked it in in BRANCH_1_2_X), and see if it
corrects the problem you described. And if it doesn't, please post the
full log trace.

Please advise whether you are able to test it, and if it works (so I can
check it into 1.4 as well)

Thx
Wolfgang

Re: Occasional errors with LDAP

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.
Hi Wolfgang,

>> this strange LDAP error when trying to login to my publications
>> and I won't be able to login at all, ever, after receiving this
>> error).
>> It seems to be random (I'm sure it's not), but when I click on
>> Login as Editor, I get this:

> Jon, what exactly do you mean by "click on Login as Editor" ? Do you
> mean you are in the login screen, and are using a specific user id,
> and the problem occurs with this user id, but never with any others ?

Here's the process I go through to get this error: I go to our home
page for our Lenya installation, and click on the link to my
publication.  At the top left of the home page for the publication is
the link for "login as editor".  It's when I click on this link that I
get the error.  So I don't even have the opportunity to log in before I
get this error.  I figured out what the problem is, but let me go
through the ringer before I come to my conclusion.

>> Reference(s); remaining name 'dc=company,dc=com'

> I assume this is not your actual setting

No, it isn't.  I just used it to make it more generic.  Our real
settings are setup properly.

>>     at
>> org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.getDirectoryEntry(LDAPUser.java:
>> 467)

> So the LDAP search against MSAD itself is throwing an exception. The
> Java thread
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?
> forumID=51&messageID=2173369&threadID=365198
> suggests to simply catch and ignore the exception. But this wouldn't
> do much good here because no entry would be found -> user could not
> log in.
>
> I suggest you set log-level for LDAPUser to debug, in the log4j.xconf.
> This file has examples on how to set log-level for just one category
> (in this case, org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser )
>
> Then next time it happens, look at the log file so we can see a bit
> more about what is going on.

I went ahead and did this and found something that caught my eye.  As I
clicked the "Login as Editor" link to the publication, some notices
started appearing about a user I know of that was recently removed from
Active Directory.  As a test, I went in and removed username.iml
(again, being generic here) from pubname/config/ac/passwd/ and then I
got another error when trying to get the login box for the publication,
stating that it didn't understand the user ID of [username].  I
immediately thought, I wonder if it is checking all the users and their
permissions to the site, and sure enough, after removing the entries
within the files underneath of pubname/config/ac/policies/ I was able
to log in.  So it seems to me that somehow all of the users and their
permissions are being checked even before the user has the opportunity
to log in.  Was this the intention?

>> (...)
>> Before, in order to remove these, I just created a new publication,
>> copied over all of my files, then removed the old publication and
>> renamed the new pub to the old one and it was ok.
>
> This is really strange. I have no idea why copying files around should
> have any effect.

I think this only worked because when I copied and moved files from the
old to the new publication, I copied only the content files, resources,
and such, but not the users.  I then re-added the users in the
interface, which would have spared me from adding in people that no
longer are in Active Directory...  So what should I do?  Is this
considered a bug in how this was implemented?  Or this merely something
that people need to be aware of when administering LDAP users in Lenya?

Jon

Re: Occasional errors with LDAP

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Jonathan Linczak schrieb:
> I could really use some help on this one - every once in a while, I get
 > this strange LDAP error when trying to login to my publications
 > and I  won't be able to login at all, ever, after receiving this
 > error).
 > It's  seems to be random (I'm sure it's not), but when I click on
 > Login as  Editor, I get this:

Jon, what exactly do you mean by "click on Login as Editor" ? Do you
mean you are in the login screen, and are using a specific user id, and
the problem occurs with this user id, but never with any others ?

> (...)
> cause:  javax.naming.PartialResultException: Unprocessed Continuation

Didn't we already have that last year ? It rings a bell but I can't find
a mailing list archive right now :/

--
Wolfgang