Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Janis Langins <j....@utoronto.ca> on 2013/12/04 04:21:06 UTC

Sudden? Conversion of a file to a read only file

A file I have updating daily (quite long, about 340 pages) has
inexplicably for reasons I cannot understand converted to a Read Only
file.  I have tried to get around this by copy the file from another
folder where did not convert to a Read Only to overwrite this
file.  It stays Read Only.  I have erased it and copied from my other
folder and it becomes a Read Only.
Any idea of what is going on and how can I stop this?
Thank you
Janis Langins

Re: Sudden? Conversion of a file to a read only file

Posted by Robert Holtzman <ho...@cox.net>.
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:27:36PM -0500, Doug wrote:
> On 12/03/2013 10:21 PM, Janis Langins wrote:
> > A file I have updating daily (quite long, about 340 pages) has
> > inexplicably for reasons I cannot understand converted to a Read Only
> > file.  I have tried to get around this by copy the file from another
> > folder where did not convert to a Read Only to overwrite this
> > file.  It stays Read Only.  I have erased it and copied from my other
> > folder and it becomes a Read Only.
> > Any idea of what is going on and how can I stop this?
> > Thank you
> > Janis Langins
> >

> what happens if you open your console, cd to the directory it's in, and
> chmod the permissions? In case you are not familiar with the command
> line, let us assume that it is in your Documents directory, and it is
> called "longfile.doc"
>
> Open a console window (don't know how that's done in your distro).
> Then type:  (make sure the spaces are like I show)
>
> cd /home/yourusername/Documents
> ls -la longfile.doc             (just to make sure it's there)
> chmod 664 longfile.doc
>
> Then you can do ls -la longfile.doc, and on the left side should read
> -rw-rw-r--
> That means that user (you), and your group, can read and write to it,
> and the whole world can read it.
>
> If, when you try to run the command you get "not permitted," you will
> have to su to root first, or use sudo, if your distro is set up that way.
> (sudo chmod 664 longfile.doc
> [enter your password] )

Check the OP's headers. He's posting with Eudora, a Windows MUA.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped

Re: Sudden? Conversion of a file to a read only file

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 12/03/2013 10:21 PM, Janis Langins wrote:
> A file I have updating daily (quite long, about 340 pages) has
> inexplicably for reasons I cannot understand converted to a Read Only
> file.  I have tried to get around this by copy the file from another
> folder where did not convert to a Read Only to overwrite this
> file.  It stays Read Only.  I have erased it and copied from my other
> folder and it becomes a Read Only.
> Any idea of what is going on and how can I stop this?
> Thank you
> Janis Langins

what happens if you open your console, cd to the directory it's in, and
chmod the permissions? In case you are not familiar with the command
line, let us assume that it is in your Documents directory, and it is
called "longfile.doc"

Open a console window (don't know how that's done in your distro).
Then type:  (make sure the spaces are like I show)

cd /home/yourusername/Documents
ls -la longfile.doc             (just to make sure it's there)
chmod 664 longfile.doc

Then you can do ls -la longfile.doc, and on the left side should read
-rw-rw-r--
That means that user (you), and your group, can read and write to it,
and the whole world can read it.

If, when you try to run the command you get "not permitted," you will
have to su to root first, or use sudo, if your distro is set up that way.
(sudo chmod 664 longfile.doc
[enter your password] )

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

Re: Sudden? Conversion of a file to a read only file

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:21:06 -0500
Janis Langins <j....@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> A file I have updating daily (quite long, about 340 pages) has
> inexplicably for reasons I cannot understand converted to a Read Only
> file.  I have tried to get around this by copy the file from another
> folder where did not convert to a Read Only to overwrite this
> file.  It stays Read Only.  I have erased it and copied from my other
> folder and it becomes a Read Only.
> Any idea of what is going on and how can I stop this?
> Thank you
> Janis Langins

At system level, with OpenOffice closed, enable viewing of hidden and system files for your computer. You will find a hidden file with a name like ".~lock.YourFileName.odt#"
in  the file directory. Delete this file and all should be well.

Note that this file is typically a few hundred bytes in size, whereas the actual file thhat owns ir will be a minimum of about 6-7 KBytes in size (in your case I would expect much larger). If you are in doubt, please get a computer experienced person  to assist.

Note that the instructions given in another reply to this query (by dmcgarrett@optonline.net) are correct for linux, but you are using Windowswhere they won't work.

Such lock files can be left over after a program or system crash, or sometimes after too speedy a close down of the computer.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>