Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2009/05/01 02:05:06 UTC

Folder is in Subversion, but update is not working

TortoiseSVN 1.6.1, Build 16129 - 64 Bit , 2009/04/10 08:14:05
Subversion 1.6.1,
apr 1.3.3
apr-utils 1.3.4
neon 0.28.4
OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
zlib 1.2.3

Back in the v1.5 days, when I would foobar a folder, to fix things I would
simply do a normal non Subversion/Tortoise delete of the folder, then do an
Update of the parent folder.  The result would be the lasted version of the
folder would be restored from the server.

I tried the same thing with the current version and when I do the Update, I
don't get the folder in question, I get nothing.  I have browsed the
repository on the server and the folder is there, I simply cannot get the
folder out of subversion.

Any ideas?

Sam

Re: Folder is in Subversion, but update is not working

Posted by Tehmul Ghyara <te...@oracle.com>.
On 05/02/2009 03:44 AM, Sam Carleton wrote:
> You have it right, basically.  To recap, here is my OP:
> Back in the v1.5 days, when I would foobar a folder, to fix things I
> would simply do a normal non Subversion/Tortoise delete of the folder,
> then do an Update of the parent folder.  The result would be the lasted
> version of the folder would be restored from the server.
>
> I tried the same thing with the current version and when I do the
> Update, I don't get the folder in question, I get nothing.  I have
> browsed the repository on the server and the folder is there, I simply
> cannot get the folder out of subversion.
>
> I when into the parent folder and did the svn up -depth=infinity and the
> reply was: At revision 594.
>
> I proceeded to try to update via TortoiseSVN and again, no luck.

I have a similar problem which this thread on the dev list mentions as
well.
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsMessageId=1881609&dsForumId=462

Probably have to wait for 1.6.2 to see if the problem goes away.

Re: Folder is in Subversion, but update is not working

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
Bob,

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.
>Back in the v1.5 days, when I would foobar a folder, to fix things I would simply do a >normal non Subversion/Tortoise delete of the folder, then do an Update of the parent folder.  >The result would be the lasted version of the folder would be restored from the server.

>I tried the same thing with the current version and when I do the Update, I don't get the folder >in question, I get nothing.  I have browsed the repository on the server and the folder is there, >I simply cannot get the folder out of subversion.

Do an svn info on the parent folder of the one in question. You probably have a sparse checkout. You can just do a co rather than up to reget your folder.

BOb

________________________________

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 1, 2009, at 09:24, Sam Carleton wrote:

> Bob Archer wrote:
>
>> Rename the old folder. Delete the .svn folders. Create a new
>> checkout to the original name. Copy from your renamed into your
>> new WC. Every thing should be in the same place after than. No?
>
> That sounds like it will work, I will give it a try when I get home.
> But I would really like to know why simply updating the parent does
> not
> bring back the missing folder.  It use, a month or so back.
>
> One thing I do recall, when I did the non TortoiseSVN, TortoiseSVN did
> pop up a dialog with the folder checked as deleted.  I don't remember
> exactly what happened, but there was no way to cancel the action.  It
> looked like TortoiseSVN took it upon itself to delete the folder from
> Subversion.  I have not committed the changes and when I try to
> Undo on
> the parent, there is nothing to undo.

By "undo", do you mean revert?

> Something fishy is going on here and I would really like to get to the
> bottom of it.  I don't know if I am doing something wrong (most likely
> the case) or if there is a bug in TortoiseSVN or Subversion.

What does "svn status" show? Does it show this directory as deleted?
If so, revert the deletion.

The only other thing I can think of is that you somehow got a sparse
checkout excluding this folder. But you should know if you had done
this.

Working copies are supposed to be disposable, so if a working copy
gets messed up, sometimes it is simply necessary to check out a new
working copy and start using that instead.

Re: Folder is in Subversion, but update is not working

Posted by Brad Stiles <br...@gmail.com>.
> But I would really like to know why simply updating the parent does not
> bring back the missing folder.  It use, a month or so back.

Is this Subversion 1.6?

If so, try svn up --depth infinity.

Maybe Subversion thinks the missing folder is the result of a sparse
check out.  I don't think that's it, since I've used the same method
you originally tried when updating a working copy, but I suppose it
might be worth a shot.

/bs

Re: Folder is in Subversion, but update is not working

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.

Posted by Brad Stiles <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
Anyone have any thoughts on what is going on here?  I am dead in the water
because i cannot get to my source code!!!!!