Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2007/05/01 01:20:01 UTC

Re: mod_perl failure under Vista

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, RA Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Either nobody has attempted to install mod_perl2 under Windows Vista
> (unlikely) or it's gone in without a hitch. I find this latter scenario
> equally improbable, but I can't find any references to the following problem:
>
> ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 820, Apache_2.2.4 Win32 binary, mod_perl2.0.ppd from
> theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca repository. All installed OK and Apache2 starts up OK
> until 'LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so' added to httpd.conf,
> causing 'httpd -k start' to generate the following error:
>
> httpd: Syntax error on line 116 of Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
> C:/Apache2.2/modules/mod_perl.so into server: The specified module could not
> be found.
>
> But mod_perl.so *is* there, along with many other .so files.
>
> Vista has some file permission issues that XP didn't have, but I don't know
> if that is the problem. Anyone encountered this before or have some
> suggestions? Thanks.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems like this, but
that doesn't mean there isn't one (I don't have Vista). One
thing to check - if you're running Apache/2.2, you should
install the mod_perl.ppd file (not mod_perl-2.0, which is
for Apache/2.0). If you installed mod_perl-2.0, try
uninstalling it (including mod_perl.so) and installing
the mod_perl ppm package.

--
best regards,
Randy

Re: mod_perl failure under Vista

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 1 May 2007, RA Jones wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
>> I haven't heard of anyone having problems like this, but that doesn't mean
>> there isn't one (I don't have Vista). One thing to check - if you're
>> running Apache/2.2, you should install the mod_perl.ppd file (not
>> mod_perl-2.0, which is for Apache/2.0). If you installed mod_perl-2.0, try
>> uninstalling it (including mod_perl.so) and installing
>> the mod_perl ppm package.
> Yes that did it thanks. Against my expectations as requesting mod_perl.ppd
> instead of mod_perl2.0.ppd started downloading the mod_perl 2.0.3 ppd, which
> seems a bit odd. Presumably the numbering of the ppd's is different to the
> CPAN modules, where mod_perl2 is for Apache2.x (presumably including v2.2),
> and mod_perl is for Apache 1.x. Not so?

In making up the ppm packages, I use the same convention
as ActiveState, where the package name is derived from the
CPAN distribution name. mod_perl-2.03:
    http://search.cpan.org/~pgollucci/mod_perl-2.0.3/
is in the "mod_perl" CPAN distribution, and so I just
called it "mod_perl". It's not a perfect system, as
because of binary incompatibilities, mod_perl-1 and
mod_perl-2 for Apache/2.0 have to be named something
different, but I thought mod_perl, for Apache/2.2, was
the most common configuration by now.

--
best regards,
Randy

Re: mod_perl failure under Vista

Posted by RA Jones <ra...@dpw.clara.co.uk>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> I haven't heard of anyone having problems like this, but that doesn't
> mean there isn't one (I don't have Vista). One thing to check - if
> you're running Apache/2.2, you should install the mod_perl.ppd file (not
> mod_perl-2.0, which is for Apache/2.0). If you installed mod_perl-2.0, try
> uninstalling it (including mod_perl.so) and installing
> the mod_perl ppm package.
Yes that did it thanks. Against my expectations as requesting
mod_perl.ppd instead of mod_perl2.0.ppd started downloading the mod_perl
2.0.3 ppd, which seems a bit odd. Presumably the numbering of the ppd's
is different to the CPAN modules, where mod_perl2 is for Apache2.x
(presumably including v2.2), and mod_perl is for Apache 1.x. Not so?
--
Richard Jones
Leeds, UK