Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Rahamim, Ben" <br...@paypal.com.INVALID> on 2018/05/23 09:03:46 UTC

Maven assembly Plugin - ignore pom packaging

Hi all,

TL;DR – why isn’t a flag in the Maven assembly Plugin allowing to skip POMs with packaging “pom” ?

I have a question about using the Maven assembly Plugin.

We have a parent POM, called “super-parent”, which is being used as a parent to all of our projects. It includes all of the dependencies & the maven assembly plugin, set to create a tar.gz.

One of its children the “runtime-super-parent”, which all of the other projects use as a parent, and it has “pom” as packaging type, as required. Now, even though we don’t need it, the assembly plugin creates a tar.gz to this POM as well, taking a lot of space in our repositories.

The logical thing to me was to have a flag allowing us to exclude the pom packaged projects from the plugin, hence the name “pom” packaging.

Is there any way to achieve this? I haven’t found one.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Re: Maven assembly Plugin - ignore pom packaging

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
You should NOT have a plugin execution defined in a pom packaging project if it works as an aggregator. Instead just define it in pluginManagement and add it where you want the exection to be happening.

Manfred