Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by sharath srinivas <sh...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/01 01:30:11 UTC

Axis Server running a database

Hi all,

I have been trying to use Apache axis to set up a server that runs a
database and returns the results ( rows of the database) when a query is
submitted to it. Is there any way of exchanging the metadata about the
database, between the server and the client?

For e.g. Server A holds the table: (SSN, Name)
             Server B holds the table: (SSN, Age)

Now when the client requests the Age of SSN='XYZ', I need to request it from
Server B and not from Server A. So, can some metadata be exchanged between
the client and the server, so that the client, when it sees a age query
requests it from Server B and when it sees a Name query requests it from
Server A.

Thanks a million!
Sharath

Re: Axis Server running a database

Posted by Christian Poecher <ch...@poecher.de>.
sharath srinivas schrieb:
> I have been trying to use Apache axis to set up a server that runs a
> database and returns the results ( rows of the database) when a query is
> submitted to it. Is there any way of exchanging the metadata about the
> database, between the server and the client?
>
> For e.g. Server A holds the table: (SSN, Name)
>              Server B holds the table: (SSN, Age)
>
> Now when the client requests the Age of SSN='XYZ', I need to request it
> from Server B and not from Server A. So, can some metadata be exchanged
> between the client and the server, so that the client, when it sees a
> age query requests it from Server B and when it sees a Name query
> requests it from Server A.

Before the first query of the client send out a call to each server and
let them return a list of Queries that they can process. Then let the
client store it and decide next time, it makes a call, which endpoint to
choose.

BTW, I heard that (at least in the US) the social security number is not
allowed as a primary key for databases because of the potential abuse
and privacy rights. Make an artificial key, it is a cleaner database
design anyway. If not we IT guys honor privacy in software, no one else
will.

HTH,
Chris

Re: Axis Server running a database

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
The WSDL tells the client the metadata it needs to know.