Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2003/08/22 12:37:43 UTC

Getting ready for a release

Hi guys,

I would like to try and release a new version soon.  The one on the
web site is kind of crufty, and I find myself recommending the CVS
version.

So, what do we need to do?

1) Test, test, test the configure/make scripts!  This is really
   important.

I will keep a list of known good install platforms in STATUS.

Platform                  Tcl Version  Ok?
--------                  -----------  ---
Debian testing/unstable   Tcl 8.4      Yes

For release, I would like to see it working on Redhat, Free and
OpenBSD, and anything else that we can test it on (Apache has a MacOS
X machine, but it seems to have 'issues' with its tclConfig.sh.  Maybe
I can work around them).

2) Documentation.  The Italian and Russian translations should be
   brought up to date with the latest install instructions.

3) Other stuff.  I think everything else is more or less ready to go.

How is the 'DIO' work you guys were talking about?  Do you you feel
comfortable letting that out the door?

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Getting ready for a release

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.
    Which changes?  DIO?  I can commit the DIO changes.  I'm not sure
what you've done to DIODisplay since I made my changes though.  Can you
give me a re-cap?

Posted by Andy Doerr <an...@swbell.net>.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

> For release, I would like to see it working on Redhat, Free and
> OpenBSD, and anything else that we can test it on (Apache has a
> MacOS X machine, but it seems to have 'issues' with its
> tclConfig.sh.  Maybe I can work around them).

I think I've managed to beat the installation code into shape.  Please
do continue testing it out though.  Especially on systems not listed
in the STATUS file.

> 2) Documentation.  The Italian and Russian translations should be
> brought up to date with the latest install instructions.

Hi guys, here's what needs doing:

Look in the rivet.xml file, and get the CVS version number, which
should be somethin glike this:

<!-- $Id: rivet.xml,v 1.29 2003/08/22 09:42:27 davidw Exp $ -->

Look in the translated XML file, which says something like 'this
document is based on version 1.27 of the original in English'.

Compare the two documents:

cvs diff -u -r 1.27 -r 1.29 rivet.xml | less

Base the updates on that.

Given the above diffs, any idea when you might be able to do this by?
If you don't know, or cant' get to it, that's ok too.  I just need to
know so we can plan accordingly.  Thanks!

> 3) Other stuff.  I think everything else is more or less ready to go.

> How is the 'DIO' work you guys were talking about?  Do you you feel
> comfortable letting that out the door?

Did you guys decide on this one?

If anyone does *not* feel like there should be a release, please do
speak out against it!

Thanks everyone,