Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com> on 2009/09/09 18:39:10 UTC

Selecting a CSV Data File Based on a Variable

I have set up my test to have 10 logins. When I come to a particular search function, I need to select a CSV file based on the login.

I tried setting up a Pre-Processor User Parameter for the path to the file with Name DataFile. Then, in the CSV Data Set Config element, I set the Filename to ${DataFile}. The User Parameter is set up to Update Once Per Iteration.

JMeter is correctly setting DataFile to the path to the data file. However, JMeter is not reading the data file. In a Debug Sampler, none of the variables defined in the CSV file show up in the Response data.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Also, is there any way to search the Archive?

Steve Eckhart
Business Analyst/Project Manager
WAUSAU Financial Systems
Omaha, NE 68154-5206

Enterprise Payment Solutions.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic transmission (including files attached hereto) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this confidential information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please destroy it and immediately notify us by return email.  Thank you.

Re: Selecting a CSV Data File Based on a Variable

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
going through the  doc's i dont think you can directly do what you are
trying to do(i may be wrong).
only options I can think of
a. Change the file name to have a simple scheme
b. read the file yourself (Either using BSH/Java or the the standard
functions that come with jmeter)
regards
deepak

Posted by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com>.
The "brute force" method worked. Deepak and Sebb, thank you for your help!

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Ok thanks for the suggestions, i think i took that as an implied
requirement(because he had a login /password so presumably the test would
only login once or he'd need to change the way the test is written ).

 I did try to figure out some BSH function way but there wasnt anyway to
know at configuration time which user was going to be used by the thread :(

thanks & regards
deepak

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10/09/2009, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>  just to confirm , the behavior being seen is because the file name is
>  evaluated at configuration time but the variables aent set till the first
>  iteration right?

Yes.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com>.
[...]

	ERROR - jmeter.config.CSVDataSet: java.io.FileNotFoundException: H:\Projects\Online Long Term Archive\Testing\JMeter Scripts\IPOnline-JMeter-Scripts\${DataFile} (The system cannot find the file specified)

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
yes exactly , so the sharing mode should be current thread so that each
thread will read its own file.

regards
deepak

Posted by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com>.