Posted to users@maven.apache.org by to...@gi-de.com on 2009/01/19 11:02:55 UTC

how to increase performance of a multimodule (site) build?

Hi,

I have a multi-module build with the following build times:

[INFO] Total time: 11 minutes 56 seconds                -> mvn clean
install -B -U
[INFO] Total time: 24 minutes 24 seconds                -> site -B
[INFO] Total time: 33 seconds                           ->
javancss-maven-plugin:report -B
[INFO] Total time: 25 seconds                           ->
dashboard-maven-plugin:persist -B
[INFO] Total time: 1 minute 1 second                    ->
dashboard-maven-plugin:dashboard -B
[INFO] Total time: 19 minutes 25 seconds                -> mvn site:deploy
-B

Within the multi-module build I have some modules with JAXB code
generation, WSDL code generation and so on,
bound to the generate-sources phase.

It seems, that this code generation is executed each time of the lifecycle
phases, and that´s one reason why mvn site tooks so much time.
So my first question is: Is there a way to prevent Maven from this
behaviour ?

My second question:
                <site>
                        <id>website</id>
                        <url>file:/W:/website/main</url>
                </site>
tooks nearly 20min to deploy all files to a local directory on a WindowsXP
build machine - how can I easily increase the performance of this step?
Is there a significant difference to the other file protocols, lets say
scp ?

Thanx, Torsten