Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jaybytez <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/15 00:56:12 UTC

site.xml for parent/child site which are siblings

I have the following structure for my app:
avitek
-avitekApp (EAR)
  - pom.xml
-avitekParent
  - src/site/site.xml
  - pom.xml
-avitekWeb (WAR)
  - pom.xml

My parent pom.xml in avitekParent says the following:
[code]
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>avitek-sample</groupId>
    <artifactId>parent</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <name>Maven 2 Portal Sample</name>
    <modules>
        <module>../avitekApp</module>
        <module>../avitekWeb</module>
    </modules>
[/code]

Then my site.xml for the parent (avitekParent) says this:
[code]
<menu ref="modules" name="Components"/>
[/code]

So when I open:
C:\beaportal\user_projects\workspaces\default\avitek\avitekParent\target\site\index.html
It gives me links to my child projects (modules), but the urls that get
generated into the html are like this:
C:\beaportal\user_projects\workspaces\default\avitek\avitekParent\target\site\avitekWeb\index.html
And they need to look like:
C:\beaportal\user_projects\workspaces\default\avitek\avitekWeb\target\site\index.html

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks...jay

RE: site.xml for parent/child site which are siblings

Posted by jaybytez <ja...@gmail.com>.
The schema annotation says the following:

<xs:documentation source="description">A reference to a pre-defined menu,
<code>parentProject</code>.</xs:documentation>

So it says a value of parentProject as opposed to parent.

Re: site.xml for parent/child site which are siblings

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.
Thanks for the workaround, Benson.  I was able to get it to work in my
little test project.  Now, I'm going after the big project.

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
yes

Posted by jaybytez <ja...@gmail.com>.
Is this the post:

Posted by jaybytez <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely look into it.

I tried just doing the following in my child site.xml:

    <menu name="Used By">
      <item name="Avitek Parent" href="../index.html"/>
    </menu>

But this didn't work, it didn't even show the link.  It's interesting,
almost like the parent site.xml doesn't care about the child site.xmls.

When I run $ mvn site:stage
-DstagingDirectory=c:/beaportal/user_projects/workspaces/default/avitek/published-site/site

It correctly takes my structure:
-avitekApp (EAR)
  - pom.xml
-avitekParent
  - src/site/site.xml (<menu ref="modules" name="Components"/>)
  - pom.xml
-avitekWeb (WAR)
  - pom.xml

And creates a structure of:
-site
  - Parent Site
    - avitekApp Site
       - index.html
    - avitekWeb Site
       - index.html
    - index.html (with links to child sites)

It's just that the child sites, don't show a link to the parent.  I will try
the information you provided in the responses to see if it works.

When you run mvn site against a parent pom, does it use the parent site.xml
and the child site.xmls to build the generated site?

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.
There is another problem In that the children don't inherit the parents site.xml correctly (or probably more accuratly the parents site.xml gets munged when it is deployed.)

E.g we have a corporate pom which defines a site.xml which contains
<menu ref="modules"/>
However when this gets deployed the <menu ref="modules"> has gone.  And as any multi-module project that has the corporate pom as its parent doesn't show the list of it's modules...  Also it's missing any comments that where inside it.  Shouldn't the deploy deploy the descriptor as is?

E.g. the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/DECORATION/1.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/DECORATION/1.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/decoration-1.0.0.xsd">
	<publishDate format="dd MMM yyyy" />
		<breadcrumbs>
			<item name="Infrastructure"
				href="http://xxx.yyy/some/path/default.aspx" />
			<item name="Runtime"
				href="http://xxx.yyy/some/other/path/default.aspx" />
		</breadcrumbs>
		<menu name="${project.name}">
			<item name="Introduction" href="index.html" />
		</menu>
		<menu ref="parent" />
		<menu ref="modules" />
		<menu ref="reports" />
 <!-- a random comment -->
</project>

Becomes
      <item name="CAB Infrastructure" href="http://xxx.yyy/some/path/default.aspx" />
      <item name="Runtime" href="http://xxx.yyy/some/other/path/default.aspx" />
    </breadcrumbs>
    <menu name="NDS CAB Maven build environment">
      <item name="Introduction" href="index.html" />
    </menu>
    <menu ref="parent" />
    <menu ref="reports" />
</project>

Note that reports have gone and the name is now hard coded?

/James

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Re: site.xml for parent/child site which are siblings

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.
I was using 2.0-beta-7 until yesterday.  I changed to 2.1.

At the time, I only had a single site.xml at the parent level.  It
included the <menu ref="parent"/> tag.  Assuming that all of the <menu>
tags are inherited, I would have thought this would work.  I've also
tried it with site.xml in each module with equivalent tags.

My project is set up standard, though.  The parent project contains all
of the modules, "physically."

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.

Posted by jaybytez <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.