Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM> on 2005/11/07 13:15:06 UTC

Where to place emacs-mode for ij

I have a quite handy emacs-mode for ij which I want to
contribute. Is plugins/emacs a suitable place?

There will be one .el file and one readme file.
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: Where to place emacs-mode for ij

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>>Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> Hmmm, what's the exact relation of sql-ij.el to sqli.el?

sql-ij.el invokes sqli.el, according to Bernt's description.

> If sqli.el is seen as a library, or a plug-in then sql-ij.el would have
> to be released under the GPL. Which obviously would not be acceptable as
> ASF.

well, that's a good point -- and I'm glad you raised it.

I was viewing the .el file pretty much like an xsl style sheet file, but
the fact that it's actually lisp and needs to be compiled sets it a
notch above.

> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLAndPlugins
>
> I would advise asking tha ASF legal-discuss before adding this code to SVN.

Bernt, did you produce the .el file entirely on your own?
If you did not, then it can't likely be committed/distributed.
If you did, then it would be worth checking with legal-discuss. This
issue hasn't been raised on that list yet.

  -jean

Re: Where to place emacs-mode for ij

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>>> A worry: sql-ij.el uses (calls) emacs' sqli.el which is distributed
>>> under GPL (i think). Would that cuase problems if I want to distribute
>>> sql-ij.el under an apache license as part of Derby?
>>

>> As long as we only distribute sql-ij.el in source form, not binary, I
>> don't think there's any problem. I'm not a lawyer, though...
>>

> Distributing Bernt's sql-ij.el source file contributed under the ASL
> should be fine, and distributing anything under GPL isn't. So maybe the
> readme could provide instructions on where to download the GPL piece and
> build it.

Hmmm, what's the exact relation of sql-ij.el to sqli.el?

If sqli.el is seen as a library, or a plug-in then sql-ij.el would have
to be released under the GPL. Which obviously would not be acceptable as
ASF.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLAndPlugins

I would advise asking tha ASF legal-discuss before adding this code to SVN.

Dan.

Re: Where to place emacs-mode for ij

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> p.s. There have been quite a few discussions on legal-discuss@apache.org
> regarding lgpl and possibly relaxing the current apache rules (if I'm
> reading things right). More importantly, it sounds like they're going to
> target ApacheCon in December for solidified info. I'd encourage all the
> committers interested in these licensing issues to attend.

I should have said committers *and* contributors and just generally
anyone who is interested in these issues. It's an excellent opportunity
to discuss licensing at a much higher baud rate.

  -jean

Re: Where to place emacs-mode for ij

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.