Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2018/10/23 13:34:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Assessing viability of an Apache Graphics & UX project

Hi folks,
as have been discussed on a few other lists, there is an ogoing
thought/idea of creating a project to handle graphics and user
experience aspects of projects where the projects themselves either fall
short, where pooling human resources and policies may make sense, and
where the broader foundation level items can be worked on.

To this end, I'm soliciting input from fellow Apache people as well as
anyone else interested in perchance joining in. This discussion is
three-fold, as I'd love for us to figure out the following:

- Willingness / body count: How many people would be interested in
putting in actual work here, how many would be interested in this from a
more managerial point of view, and can we get sufficient ASF membership
oversight to possibly aim for a straight-to-TLP here.

- Scope/tasks: What sort of ideas do people have for the scope and
mission of such a project. Solely graphics/logos/webdesign/photos, or do
we dare expand that a little, and if so, what needs to be added? Do we
want to segue a little bit into publishing guides and best practices for
documentation and what not? I suspect this will ultimately be a matter
of finding the scope with the largest support.

- (non-hostile) Takeovers: Are there existing problems/challenges within
projects or the foundation we can already identify and work on possibly
putting into this project? This could be anything really, something that
we'd love to see done already.

If you, dear reader, have input for any of the above topics, or perhaps
something I left out, do reply to this thread on dev@community and let's
see if we can muster up enough people to get something going :)

With regards,
Daniel.

PS: Please, don't just +1 this email blindly. If you are willing to join
in whatever capacity, indicate what you're willing to sign up for as
well as your experience with the ASF (even if you're someone like jim,
others might not know you!). If you agree with something I said, state
so, possibly elaborate, or tell me where I got everything wrong.

Re: [DISCUSS] Assessing viability of an Apache Graphics & UX project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...- Willingness / body count: How many people would be interested in
> putting in actual work here,...

I'm willing to be part of a PMC that coordinates this effort.

> ...What sort of ideas do people have for the scope and
> mission of such a project. Solely graphics/logos/webdesign/photos, or do
> we dare expand that a little, and if so, what needs to be added?...

I think documentation help, reviewing docs etc. might also be part of
the charter. But that can emerge once the PMC is created, so maybe for
now just select a name that's not too limiting. "Central Services PMC"
was mentioned earlier. Or maybe "Apache Makeup PMC" in the sense of
stuff that you add on things to make them look better ;-)

>...Are there existing problems/challenges within
> projects or the foundation we can already identify and work on possibly
> putting into this project?...

There might be some overlap with http://apache.org/press/ so I think
we need to coordinate with that team before finalizing this project.

> ...Please, don't just +1 this email blindly....

+1 ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Assessing viability of an Apache Graphics & UX project

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <dr...@primary.net>.
On 2018-10-23 08:34, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> Hi folks,
> as have been discussed on a few other lists, there is an ogoing
> thought/idea of creating a project to handle graphics and user
> experience aspects of projects where the projects themselves either
> fall short, where pooling human resources and policies may make sense,
> and where the broader foundation level items can be worked on.
>
> To this end, I'm soliciting input from fellow Apache people as well as
> anyone else interested in perchance joining in. This discussion is
> three-fold, as I'd love for us to figure out the following:
>
> - Willingness / body count: How many people would be interested in
> putting in actual work here, how many would be interested in this from
> a more managerial point of view, and can we get sufficient ASF
> membership oversight to possibly aim for a straight-to-TLP here.

Hi, Daniel;
I would be willing to participate from a "managerial" point of view. My
graphic design skills aren't so great, but I can do magic with scripts
and things like that (which isn't often needed by projects).

Posted by mike peoni <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi this is Michael peoni I got your email I would love to collaborate in
any way shape or form I can I am working on getting some information on a
couple of my projects over to you soon as I get through the privacy
concerns out I'll be doing that so how you doing have a good day and I wish
you well..