Posted to commits@spamassassin.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/10/06 01:56:35 UTC

[Spamassassin Wiki] Update of "RulesProjMoreInput" by JustinMason

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Spamassassin Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JustinMason:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RulesProjMoreInput

The comment on the change is:
move preflight mass-check details to a new page

  Someway of scheduling a small run during the development day would be useful, rather than waiting for the nightly.
  An email of users completed results would be nice to see too.

- JustinMason: I think the more immediate, email-based, system is better done using List-Driven Mass-Checks as below; this is good for slow-but-comprehensive daily tests.
+ JustinMason: I think the more immediate, email-based, system is better done using the faster preflight system, as below; this one is good for slow-but-comprehensive daily tests.

- === List-Driven Mass-Checks ===
+ === Preflight Mass-Checks ===

- Loren outlined the system used in SARE:
+ See RulesProjBuildBot.

-   * rule developer sends mail to mailing list
-   * various other participants run scripts that automatically extract certain attachments posted to the list
-   * turn those into rules files
-   * lint them
-   * run a mass-check immediately with just the rules in that file
-   * post results including hit freqs and false positives matches
-   * masscheck requester asks for false positive verification based on report
-
- For active rule development, this is obviously quite useful!   If you can't run
- mass-check locally for whatever reason, it offers a way to do this using other
- people's corpora in almost-real-time.
-
- JustinMason: 'I'd like to see if there's a way to combine the two (that is,
- nightly and list-driven mass-checks) somehow, so that new SVN commits that
- update sandbox rules, are immediately mass-checked alone. However, I can't see
- a way to do that reliably from SVN commits alone, because (for example) meta
- rules may depend on other rules that were not changed as part of the same
- commit. So I think the "email with attached rules file" is still a better
- model.'
-
- 'LOAFER': There are eval rules to consider too.
-
- JustinMason: I think we have to do those as plugins, via the sandboxes.
-
- Here's the current proposal:
-
-   * apache.org-hosted mailing list
-   * subscription is open to invited mass-checkers/rule developers/committers, and Members of the ASF (the latter is a requirement for ASF project lists)
-   * archives are publically available, but delayed 1 month
-   * automated mass-checks of attachments in specific file format
-   * rules considered suitable for use are manually checked into the "sandbox" area by one of the committers who has privs to do that
-   * with luck, they'll go into the core based on the automated testing described in RulesProjStreamlining.
-