Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/10/29 19:01:16 UTC

Re: Problems with web.xml

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Geoffrey Gallaway wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:05:38 -0500
> From: Geoffrey Gallaway <ge...@sin.sloth.org>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Problems with web.xml
>
> Using tomcat 4.0 on linux, sun's jdk 1.3.01.
>
> When starting tomcat (startup.sh) I get:
> 2001-10-29 11:59:32 ContextConfig[/geoffeg] Parse error in application web.xml
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element "servlet" does not allow
> "description" here.
>
> Which is strange, the docs say I can have a "description" in my web.xml,
> here's the "offending" section:
>     <servlet>
>       <servlet-name>Foo</servlet-name>
>       <servlet-class>Foo</servlet-class>
>       <description>
>         A simple test application I wrote.
>       </description>
>     </servlet>
>

> Any ideas whats going on?
> Geoffeg

Element order matters -- you MUST conform to the DTD requirements.  In
this particular case, that means <description> has to come before
<servlet-class>.

See Chapter 13 of the Servlet 2.3 Specification for a copy of the DTD that
web.xml files must conform to.  It's available at:

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

> --
> Geoffrey Gallaway ||
> geoffeg@sloth.org || Die duemmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln!