Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Muji Kadry <mu...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/07 19:58:01 UTC

Creating view on Hcatalog Tables

Hi All,

I am running a POC, in which the customer wants to access HAWQ data stored
in ORC format via PXF in HAWQ, without changing their existing queries. In
order to do that i was thinking of creating a view on top of the hcatalog
tables, but hawq is giving error. Does anyone else have any other ideas on
how to circumvent changing tables names?

Thanks,
Muji

For Example:

gpadmin=# create view  vw_time_dim as

gpadmin-#

gpadmin-# select time_id from hcatalog.default.time_dim;

before or while processing the request.

Re: Creating view on Hcatalog Tables

Posted by Kyle Dunn <kd...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Muji -

Have you validated that the PXF service is functioning as expected? As an
example: try running an ad-hoc query against the hcatalog table like you
have done in the view definition above (maybe adding limit 10).

Also, it may be helpful to cross-post this to StackOverflow with a HAWQ tag
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/hawq> - there are quite a few
people monitoring that channel that may not be on this mailing list.

Thanks,
Kyle

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:58 PM Muji Kadry <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am running a POC, in which the customer wants to access HAWQ data stored
> in ORC format via PXF in HAWQ, without changing their existing queries. In
> order to do that i was thinking of creating a view on top of the hcatalog
> tables, but hawq is giving error. Does anyone else have any other ideas on
> how to circumvent changing tables names?
>
> Thanks,
> Muji
>
> For Example:
>
> gpadmin=# create view  vw_time_dim as
>
> gpadmin-#
>
> gpadmin-# select time_id from hcatalog.default.time_dim;

> This probably means the server terminated abnormally

*Kyle Dunn | Data Engineering | Pivotal*
Direct: 303.905.3171 <3039053171> | Email: kdunn@pivotal.io