Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com> on 2002/03/18 00:34:27 UTC

Tomcat 4.0 and Windows XP

Hate to ask a straightfoward question, but can't seem to find any answers and the FAQ is down....

I currently am running Tomcat 4.0 under Win98 and am thinking of upgrading to Windows XP Pro.  Has anyone encountered any problems or know of any hitches I should be aware of to do this? Has Tomcat 4.0 been tested under Windows XP?  Thanks for any/all replies, just trying to forsee any roadblocks! ;-)

   Marc..

Do you think the software industry will ever make software that is as easy and reliable for a user to use
as the automobile industry makes a car easy and reliable for a user to drive?
A man said unto the universe -  "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe  "I do not see where that creates in me a sense of an obligation."
          - Stephen Crane

Great Book - More Servlets and Java Server Pages

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
All,

I've just finished reading More Servlets and Java Server Pages by Marty
Hall.  I wish I'd read this when I'd been new to Tomcat.  It's brilliant as
it really explains _exactly_ how to configure things in Tomcat (plus a
couple of other engines), and has some excellent examples.

See http://www.moreservlets.com

It is the sequel to "Core Servlets and Java Server Pages", which is
available free in PDF on this site.  There is also an excellent Tomcat 4
configuration guide on the site.

I'd suggest that anyone who has problems getting started with Tomcat reads
this book now, eg web.xml explained completely...

It's also got a lot advanced stuff too and covers security and Servlet
Filters excellently.

Thoroughly recommended for anyone who doesn't know absolutely everything
about servlets, jsp and Tomcat.

Andy

PS I've no connection to the author!

RE: Tomcat 4.0 and Windows XP

Posted by Chris Pheby <ch...@tfe-group.com>.
I had problems running 4.0.3 as a service under XP. 4.0.4 beta 1 works well
as a service however. Also I had to use Service+ (a utility) to set Apache
as depending on Tomcat so they integrate properly. Otherwise no problems
there.

Chris.