Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Thomas Brand <to...@trellis.ch> on 2016/08/30 15:14:09 UTC

Prefix for mails to user@commons.apache.org?

Hi,
when i receive mail from other lists, they have a subject like
[listname] subject, which makes it easy to quickly sort and overview mails
from multiple lists in one box (i.e. the inbox). It also makes it easier
to quickly filter from spam messages.
Would it be possible that listserver from  user@commons.apache.org would
automagically prefix the subject?
Thanks + best regards
Thomas

Re: Prefix for mails to user@commons.apache.org?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 August 2016 at 22:14, Thomas Brand <to...@trellis.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
> i understand that using the list-id in the header is the correct thing to
> do, and using that id is certainly an elegant way to i.e. automatically
> file these messages into its own folder. However setting up filters isn't
> sometimes easy or limited and mails end up flat. Please have a look at
> this screenshot part:
> http://picpaste.com/pics/inbox_list_messages-AZ0VF5BA.1472591249.png
> It must be obvious that a tag *in the subject* can be helpful. If along
> "tagged" messages, there are messages from random people with random
> subjects, it makes it harder at least in that scenario i'm using mail
> (blame on how).

Note that there are lots of ASF mailing lists.
Indeed there are lots of ASF user mailing lists.
And other organisations have user mailing lists too.
So the feature would only work if the full mailing list id was used.

Also the Commons mailing lists cover multiple components; the
convention is to prefix the subject with the [component] name.
So the full subject for this mail would become:

user@commons.apache.org [ALL] Prefix for mails to user@commons.apache.org?

> These few additional bytes wouldn't be a waste of anything IMHO. :)

It's not just a few bytes, and it does cause problems:
As far as I can tell from the screenshot you referenced, the prefix
would result in truncation of the actual subject.

Posted by Thomas Brand <to...@trellis.ch>.
Hi,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.