Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2001/04/01 13:43:19 UTC

New SOAP live samples online

Hello,

under http://ulim.cocoonhost.com you can find

a) the docs for the new version of the SOAP taglib
b) the new version as a download .tar.gz archive (complete with DocHandler
and the PDF archive)
c) the new live samples

There is one new feature in the live samples, you can now save
generated letters to the PDF archive (no spectacular code, I just didn't
have time to complete this for the last version).

And there's one new feature in the SOAP taglib (besides upgrading it to
work with Cocoon 1.8.2), which is illustrated by the new sample
"addressbook". It allows you to send arbitrarily complex XML fragments
(i.e. XML documents without XML declaration and root tag) to a SOAP
service. And you can retrieve these XML fragments in any XSP page using
the SOAP taglib. This is a very general technique, but I wrote with a
concrete application in mind:

This technique enables you to call Cocoon programmatically and pass it
arbitrary XML data to work with. There is no need anymore for the XML data
being in the filesystem or a database at the remote end. All you need at
the remote end is a static stub file and the XML fragments you pass along
will be inserted into it. No great achievement in a technical sense, but
it makes workflows possible a la "send us your XML data via SOAP and we'll
send you a PDF". The frontend (i.e. the one, who sends the XML data) can
either be an XSP page (as in the addressbook sample) or an arbitrary
program (as in the DocHandler).

The addressbook sample actually uses both frontends: first an XSP page to
pass the address data as XML fragments to a SOAP service (the DocHandler).
Then the DocHandler asks Cocoon to make a PDF from this XML data by
passing the XML fragments to a (remote or local) XSP page and returns
the generated PDF to the original requester.

This technique is not limited to PDF, but that's all I implemented
(besides XML, which is of course "naturally" supported).

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

Re: New SOAP live samples online

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
Very cool :) All sorts of neat possibilities.. SVG -> PNG services, etc. I'm
sure the SOAP and FOP people would like to hear about this.

--Jeff