Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by C G <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2009/09/02 20:11:04 UTC

Building/running fuse_dfs

Hi All:
I'm trying to build and deploy fuse_dfs and am hitting a couple strange conditions I'm not sure how to resolve.  Any assistance much appreciated...
First question:  If you install Fuse from an RPM, what do you set FUSE_HOME to be when trying to use fuse_dfs ?
Second question:  How do you get fuse_dfs.c to compile/link.  Here's the scenario:
Environment:  Virgin build of Hadoop 0.19.2,  per what I think are the correct instructions ran:
  ant compile-libhdfs -Dlibhdfs=1  ant package  ant compile-contrib -Dcompile.c++=1 -Dfusedfs=1 -Dlibhdfs.noperms=1
At this point I expected to find a binary called fuse_dfs *someplace* within the Hadoop-0.19.2/build dir structure, but a search revealed nothing.  In the output from the ant commands I never see the C code get compiled.
Note that the system is 64-bit Linux, running kernel 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5.  I modified the libhdfs makefile to remove the -m32 directive to get a 64-bit compile.
Any help much appreciated...
Thanks,C G

Re: Building/running fuse_dfs

Posted by C G <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Brian - that did the trick.  Thanks very much for the quick reply...really appreciated!
Thanks,C G

> I'm trying to build and deploy fuse_dfs and am hitting a couple strange conditions I'm not sure how to resolve.  Any assistance much appreciated...
> First question:  If you install Fuse from an RPM, what do you set FUSE_HOME to be when trying to use fuse_dfs ?

I don't set FUSE_HOME.  However, if I installed FUSE with a prefix (i.e., compiled it manually), you need to set FUSE_HOME to that prefix.

> Second question:  How do you get fuse_dfs.c to compile/link.  Here's the scenario:
> Environment:  Virgin build of Hadoop 0.19.2,  per what I think are the correct instructions ran:
>   ant compile-libhdfs -Dlibhdfs=1  ant package  ant compile-contrib -Dcompile.c++=1 -Dfusedfs=1 -Dlibhdfs.noperms=1
> At this point I expected to find a binary called fuse_dfs *someplace* within the Hadoop-0.19.2/build dir structure, but a search revealed nothing.  In the output from the ant commands I never see the C code get compiled.

The ant command I use is:

ant compile-contrib -Dlibhdfs=1 -Dfusedfs=1 jar

Yours seems good enough.  The fuse_dfs binary gets placed in the source directory.  Don't know why.

> Note that the system is 64-bit Linux, running kernel 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5.  I modified the libhdfs makefile to remove the -m32 directive to get a 64-bit compile.

Yup, we do that too.

Brian

Re: Building/running fuse_dfs

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.