Posted to general@commons.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/10/21 15:01:16 UTC

Brain fart (suggestion for apache-commons project)

One suggestion for a project should it suit someone that seems just apt
for here (and I think there is an existing codebase on sourceforge) is
language extensions/support for ant.

For those of you not familiar with ant jakarta.apache.org/ant.  Ant is a
lot more pleasant to use than Makefiles.  While its focus is Java
currently, there is support for other languages being developed
elsewhere.  Hopefully one day it will be mostly out of the box.

So you say "Gee I'm a C man...what does ant do for me"... ever paste a
patch for a make file?  Don't you love that "use tab not spaces"
error...  Ant is a painful build tool but about 99% less painful than
make when it comes to non-simple things.  C/C++/D could gain a lot from
it!

-Andy

> no, forcing multi-language implementation is 'way off the radar, and
> destry-on-sight as a concept.  having a place where non-java stuff can
> live alongside java *is* in scope and one of the goals.
> --
> #ken	P-)}
>
> Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini  http://Golux.Com/coar/
>
> "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Brain fart (suggestion for apache-commons project)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:01:16AM -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> One suggestion for a project should it suit someone that seems just apt
> for here (and I think there is an existing codebase on sourceforge) is
> language extensions/support for ant.
>
> For those of you not familiar with ant jakarta.apache.org/ant.  Ant is a
> lot more pleasant to use than Makefiles.  While its focus is Java
> currently, there is support for other languages being developed
> elsewhere.  Hopefully one day it will be mostly out of the box.
>
> So you say "Gee I'm a C man...what does ant do for me"... ever paste a
> patch for a make file?  Don't you love that "use tab not spaces"
> error...  Ant is a painful build tool but about 99% less painful than
> make when it comes to non-simple things.  C/C++/D could gain a lot from
> it!

Well, in the context of being language-agnostic, I don't think anyone
wants to be forced to make any contributions to the ASF. So my basic
philosophy on this topic comes down to this: If someone wants to do the
work, and it furthers our goals, then the ASF should help them do it. If
you want to write C-extensions to ant, and you think you'd like to do it
under the Commons project, I'm a huge +1 and I'll even help you get going.

Everything before that point is just speculation.

-aaron

> One suggestion for a project should it suit someone that seems just apt
> for here (and I think there is an existing codebase on sourceforge) is
> language extensions/support for ant.
>
> For those of you not familiar with ant jakarta.apache.org/ant.  Ant is a
> lot more pleasant to use than Makefiles.  While its focus is Java
> currently, there is support for other languages being developed
> elsewhere.  Hopefully one day it will be mostly out of the box.
>
> So you say "Gee I'm a C man...what does ant do for me"... ever paste a
> patch for a make file?  Don't you love that "use tab not spaces"
> error...  Ant is a painful build tool but about 99% less painful than
> make when it comes to non-simple things.  C/C++/D could gain a lot from
> it!

We are aware of Ant.  So much so that we used it as a _hypothetical_
candidate for hosting tools under the Commons umbrella.  See the STATUS
file.

Sander