Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu> on 2002/06/23 04:45:08 UTC

compiling mod_jk on AIX

I downloaded the connector source
(jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.2-01-src) and I'm trying to compile
mod_jk for AIX.

I'm following the instructions in the README.txt file
in the jk subdirectory of the source.  I'm trying to use ant, as
described there.

First I run "ant", and that works OK.  Then I run "ant native".  That
part actually crashes, but it looks like it's trying to build both jk
and jk2 stuff, and the jk stuff finishes OK and it's on jk2 that it
crashes.  It crashes because it can't find some header files, apr.h
and some other ones (apr_<something>.h).  I don't know what apr is,
but it doesn't seem to come with the connector source.  One guess I
have is that it's related to Apache 2, but I don't have Apache 2.

Anyway, that's not what my question is about (although if anyone can
provide more info about it, that'd be appreciated).  Basically, I'm
trying to build the mod_jk.so file so I can use mod_jk with Apache and
Tomcat.  But it's not getting created.  I see a message related to it
in the output:

Linking .../jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.2-01-src/jk/build/WEB-INF/jk/apache13/mod_jk.so

(The "..." weren't literally there, I just deleted that part.)
There's no error/failure message around it, so it looks like it
succeeded.  The thing is, I can't find a mod_jk.so file, in that
directory or anywhere else.  That directory has files

libmod_jk.a
mod_jk.la

In addition, there's a .libs subdirectory that has files

libmod_jk.a
libmod_jk.exp
libmod_jk.so.0
mod_jk.la
mod_jk.lai

mod_jk.la is a symbolic link to the same-named file in the directory
above it.  libmod_jk.a is the same (via diff) as the same-named file
in the directory above it.  Can I use one of these files as mod_jk.so?
Is it just a matter of renaming one of them?  If so, why didn't the
build process do it?

If anyone can shed some light on what's going on here, it would be
appreciated.  Thanks.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)