Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com> on 2003/01/08 11:55:43 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] No access from external hosts specified in httpd.conf

Archie MacDonald (rsh) wrote:
> " A network error occurred: unable to connect server (TCP Error: no
> route to host)"

This message seems to indicate a network problem, unrelated to Apache.
Are you sure you can access your server from the client through your
network ?

To check network connectivity, you can try, from your client:
ping <server IP address>
traceroute <server IP address>

If those both succeed, you can try:
telnet <server IP address> 80

to check that it's not a firewall blocking only HTTP transfer between
your hosts.

>     "There was no response, the server may be down or not responding"

That is another error you get when there is no route: te be a bit
technical, the "no route to host" message is sent only every few seconds
by the router, so when trying to connect, you might not get it. In this
case, your client will say "no response" instead of "no route to host",
and it's only a coincidence that it changed with your config file
modification (I had that problem myself once :-)

If it's really a network problem, you might have to contact your
network/firewall administrator, on either site, to check if there is no
rule forbidding access or route missing.

HTH,

Laurent
--
   IRI-Secodip                  www.infores.com