Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/07/18 13:58:09 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for voting.

The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:

- Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain multiple
  keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a patch by Frank
  Taffelt.

- Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular ensure
  that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners after an
  I/O error on a non-container thread.

- Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors when
  accessing the session.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.18/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1144/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_18/

The proposed 8.5.18 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: kkolinko, fschumacher, remm, mgrigorov
-1: markt (changed from +1 due to regression)

And schultz voted a possible +1 but with a query regarding a unit test
failure.

Non-binding

George Stanchev raised a possible regression issue

While there are enough votes to release, I'm going to call this result
as failed, fix the regression and roll a new release.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release. Sorry again for the
further regressions in the static file handling.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>
> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain multiple
>   keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a patch by Frank
>   Taffelt.
>
> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular ensure
>   that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners after an
>   I/O error on a non-container thread.
>
> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors when
>   accessing the session.
>

> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.18/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1144/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_18/
>
> The proposed 8.5.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Regards,
Martin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/07/17 14:58, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

> The proposed 8.5.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Unit tests pass for NIO, NIO2 and APR on Windows, OSX and Linux all
using Tomcat Native 1.2.12.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/07/17 14:58, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>
> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain multiple
>   keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a patch by Frank
>   Taffelt.
>
> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular ensure
>   that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners after an
>   I/O error on a non-container thread.
>
> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors when
>   accessing the session.
>

> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.18/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1144/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_18/
>
> The proposed 8.5.18 release is:
> [X] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Sorry, another regression around static file handling and encoding
differences.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

I'm repeating all tests for the 8.5.19 release, so I'll see if I can
get it to fail again.

Thanks,
- -chris

On 7/20/17 3:56 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> On 7/18/17 9:58 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for
>>> voting.
>
> <snip/>
>
>>> The proposed 8.5.18 release is: [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [?] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18
>>
>> Works fine for me in a development environment. *There was a unit
>> test failure I've never seen before.* Someone who knows more
>> about this particular test might want to weigh-in on whether or
>> not this is a problem.
>>
>> Details below.
>
> <snip/>
>
>> For TestVirtualContext (which only failed for NIO2, oddly), here
>> are the errors:
>>
>> 20-Jul-2017 12:10:16.422 SEVERE
>> [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-auto-2-exec-2]
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke Exception
>> Processing null java.lang.NullPointerException at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperV
alv

e.java:236)

> OK. That is in the exception handling. That is odd to start with
> since we don't expect this test to enter that code. As to what
> might be triggering the NPE, it could be any of: - container -
> container.getLogger() - wrapper - context
>
> None of which should ever be null at that point.
>
> <snip/>
>
>> 20-Jul-2017 12:10:16.427 SEVERE
>> [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-auto-2-exec-2]
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service Error processing
>> reques t java.lang.NullPointerException at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.notifyAttributeAssigned(Request
.ja

va:1555)

> That suggests context is null.
>
> <snip/>
>
>> 20-Jul-2017 12:10:16.440 SEVERE
>> [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-auto-2-exec-2]
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.endRequest Error
>> finishing response java.lang.NullPointerException at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11OutputBuffer.commit(Http11OutputBuffer
.ja

va:368)

> That suggests socketWrapper is null.
>
> <snip />
>
>> ... and then finally: Testcase: testVirtualClassLoader took
>> 14.813 sec Caused an ERROR Read timed out
>> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out at
>> java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
>
> Hmm. The test should complete in a couple of seconds.
>
> <snip/>
>
>> org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.testVirtualClassLoader(
Tes

tVirtualContext.java:105)

Posted by George Stanchev <Gs...@serena.com>.
Mark,

Can you look at my comments at the user's mailing list on the original thread about the encoding issue. The issue seems to have resurfaced in a different form.

George

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 7/18/17 9:58 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for
>> voting.

<snip/>

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 7/18/17 9:58 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>
> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain
> multiple keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a
> patch by Frank Taffelt.
>
> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular
> ensure that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners
> after an I/O error on a non-container thread.
>
> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors
> when accessing the session.
>

> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.18/ The
> Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-114
4/

The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_18/
>
> The proposed 8.5.18 release is: [ ] Broken - do not release [?]
> Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Works fine for me in a development environment. *There was a unit test
failure I've never seen before.* Someone who knows more about this
particular test might want to weigh-in on whether or not this is a
problem.

Details below.

- -chris

* Environment
*  Java (build):     java version "1.8.0_101" Java(TM) SE Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
(build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)
*  Java (test):     java version "1.8.0_101" Java(TM) SE Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
(build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)
*  OS:       Linux 2.6.32-312-ec2 x86_64
*  cc:       cc (Debian 4.7.2-5) 4.7.2
*  make:     GNU Make 3.81
*  OpenSSL:  1.0.2k
*  APR:      1.4.6
*
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18.zip
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18.tar.gz
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18.exe
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18.exe
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18-src.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18-src.zip
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18-src.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.18-src.tar.gz
*
* Binary Zip and tarball: Same
* Source Zip and tarball: !! NOT SAME

Konstantin pointed-out that the newline-rewriting process in the build
is not working properly. No reason to block the release.

* Building dependencies returned: 0
* tcnative builds cleanly
* Tomcat builds cleanly
* Junit Tests: FAILED

JUnit test case failures are almost all expected: (a) no multicast and
(b) cipher tests are highly dependent upon environment.

For TestVirtualContext (which only failed for NIO2, oddly), here are
the errors:

20-Jul-2017 12:10:16.422 SEVERE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-auto-2-exec-2]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke Exception Processing
null
 java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
e.java:236)
        at
e.java:96)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticator
Base.java:478)
        at
:140)
        at
:80)
        at
java:87)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:3
42)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:79
9)
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.
java:66)
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractPro
tocol.java:868)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(Nio2Endpoi
nt.java:1697)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.j
ava:49)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.processSocket(AbstractEndpoi
nt.java:946)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Ni
o2Endpoint.java:626)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Ni
o2Endpoint.java:604)
        at sun.nio.ch.Invoker.invokeUnchecked(Invoker.java:126)
        at sun.nio.ch.Invoker$2.run(Invoker.java:218)
        at
sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$1.run(AsynchronousChannelGroupIm
pl.java:112)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.jav
a:1142)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.ja
va:617)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThrea
d.java:61)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
20-Jul-2017 12:10:16.427 SEVERE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-auto-2-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service Error processing reques
 java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.notifyAttributeAssigned(Request.ja
va:1555)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.setAttribute(Request.java:1541)
        at
:154)
[...]

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.prepareResponse(Http11Processor
.java:1305)
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessor.action(AbstractProcessor.java:258)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.endRequest(Http11Processor.java
:1474)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:83
[...]

java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:170)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246
)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:28
6)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:345
)
        at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:704)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:647)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(HttpURLConne
ction.java:1536)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnec
tion.java:1441)
        at
java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:480)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.TomcatBaseTest.methodUrl(TomcatBaseTest.java
:673)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.TomcatBaseTest.getUrl(TomcatBaseTest.java:64
6)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.assertPageContains(TestVir
tualContext.java:329)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.testVirtualClassLoader(Tes
tVirtualContext.java:105)

That SocketTimeoutException might not be an actual problem.

* Tests that failed:
* org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.NIO2.txt
* org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSessionIntegration.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSessionIntegration.NIO.txt
* org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSessionIntegration.NIO2.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO2.tx
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.APR.t
xt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO.t
xt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO2.
txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator
.APR.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator
.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator
.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.APR.t
xt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO.t
xt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO2.
txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.APR
.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO
.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO
2.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.APR.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
nParser.APR.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
nParser.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
nParser.NIO2.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>
> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain multiple
>   keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a patch by Frank
>   Taffelt.
>
> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular ensure
>   that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners after an
>   I/O error on a non-container thread.
>
> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors when
>   accessing the session.
>

> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.18/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1144/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_18/
>
> The proposed 8.5.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Smoke testing OK.
JUnit test - OK except one (Java 8u141 32-bit x all connectors, Windows 10)

Notes:

1. apache-tomcat-8.5.18.exe is not signed.
I guess that "Code signing service currently unavailable" issue that
Mark mentioned 2017-06-21 is still not cleared.

https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61316

2. TestEncodingDetector test is failing, as its data files are broken
in src.zip that I tested, do not match the svn tag.

I filed this issue into Bugzilla,
https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61316

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.18

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 18.07.2017 um 15:58 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.18 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>
> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain multiple
>    keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a patch by Frank
>    Taffelt.
>
> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular ensure
>    that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners after an
>    I/O error on a non-container thread.
>
> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors when
>    accessing the session.
>

> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.18/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1144/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_18/
>
> The proposed 8.5.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.18

Felix