Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> on 2015/11/21 04:10:33 UTC

ICLA-lint feature: cc: mail aliases

I noticed during the recent work that the email address in iclas.txt is out of date with reality. At least a couple of addresses are in the sun.com domain, clearly not current.

How could I send email to the address in iclas.txt and also to all addresses in mail aliases? Something like:

to: craig.russell@sun.com cc: craig.russell@oracle.com,papajdo@gmail.com,clr@apache.org reflecting both the iclas.txt address plus all of the mail aliases.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: ICLA-lint feature: cc: mail aliases

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Craig L Russell
<cr...@oracle.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 20, 2015, at 7:17 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Craig L Russell
>> <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>> I noticed during the recent work that the email address in iclas.txt is out of date with reality. At least a couple of addresses are in the sun.com domain, clearly not current.
>>>
>>> How could I send email to the address in iclas.txt and also to all addresses in mail aliases? Something like:
>>>
>>> to: craig.russell@sun.com cc: craig.russell@oracle.com,papajdo@gmail.com,clr@apache.org reflecting both the iclas.txt address plus all of the mail aliases.
>>
>> First, this is not possible for entries with 'notinavail', but here
>> are a few things to explore.  The way I would recommend you explore
>> these values is to type "irb -r whimsy/asf" from the command line and
>> then enter the expressions listed below.
>
> did this.
>
> irb(main):004:0* ASF::Person.find('clr').all_mail
> => ["craig.russell@sun.com"]
>
> clr actually has one alias in mail aliases according to https://id.apache.org/info/MailAlias.txt
>
> What source does ASF::Person use?

If you configure ~/.whimsy to include foundation, it will pick up
email addresses from members.txt too.

> Craig

- Sam Ruby

Re: ICLA-lint feature: cc: mail aliases

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:51 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 November 2015 at 04:39, Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok. The bad entries with notinavail come in three flavors:
>>
>> no icla stub
>> icla stub but no document in documents/iclas/stub
>
> Not sure how one can detect that easily - or do you mean that the file
> name field is missing?
>
>> comment  (+=r9120) or  (+=r9154) or (page 3 missing)
>>
>> If the acreq tool can be updated to deny these cases, then there is nothing more needed to flag these entries.
>
> Seems to me that an unambiguous way to fix these would be to remove or
> replace the 'Signed CLA' text for cases that don't have valid CLAs.

+1

Here is the acreq tool:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/tools/submit-account-request.rb

Here is the regular expression it currently uses:

/^notinavail:.*?:(.*?):(.*?):Signed CLA/

- Sam Ruby

Re: ICLA-lint feature: cc: mail aliases

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
> On Nov 22, 2015, at 7:22 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 21 November 2015 at 03:50, Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 20, 2015, at 7:17 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> First, this is not possible for entries with 'notinavail’,
>>
>> not really needed, since notinavail entries can simply be removed after sending email once.
>
> I'm not sure that's true - see recent e-mail from Sam
>
> https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/board/201511.mbox/%3cCAFG6u8E+v_j_R8cCMfS5VQaHSsuf_VNgRvqXx5QQsh0SoWvSCQ@mail.gmail.com%3e
>
> Don't we need to keep a record of all ICLAs submitted?

Yes. I’m no longer thinking that we should remove the iclas.txt entry, but need to modify the public name to indicate that the icla went missing. There are only 33 cases of missing iclas for notinavail, so the tool will simply be full of those folks that we cannot locate. What would be bad is for these folks to fail to respond to the request for a replacement, and for a PMC to then offer commit privileges.

Craig

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
> I noticed during the recent work that the email address in iclas.txt is out of date with reality. At least a couple of addresses are in the sun.com domain, clearly not current.
>
> How could I send email to the address in iclas.txt and also to all addresses in mail aliases? Something like:
>
> to: craig.russell@sun.com cc: craig.russell@oracle.com,papajdo@gmail.com,clr@apache.org reflecting both the iclas.txt address plus all of the mail aliases.

First, this is not possible for entries with 'notinavail', but here
are a few things to explore.  The way I would recommend you explore
these values is to type "irb -r whimsy/asf" from the command line and
then enter the expressions listed below.

Here is how to find all email addresses:

ASF::Person.find('clr').all_mail

Here is how to remove the 'to' address:

ASF::Person.find('clr').all_mail - ['craig.russell@sun.com']

Here is how to return the results as a comma separated string:

(ASF::Person.find('clr').all_mail - ['craig.russell@sun.com']).join(',')

> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> Architect, Oracle