Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Patrick May <Pa...@IgnitionOne.com> on 2015/11/02 16:19:22 UTC

Re: passing arguements to storm topology at load

I put together a simple example of this and described it here:  https://softwarematters.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/deploying-a-properties-file-with-a-storm-topology/

pjm

From: Andrew Neilson <ar...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "user@storm.apache.org<ma...@storm.apache.org>" <us...@storm.apache.org>>
Cc: "Saraswat-Contractor, Umakant (CORP)" <Um...@adp.com>>
Subject: Re: passing arguements to storm topology at load

An alternate way to do it is to get these values from a .properties file or with command-line args within your Topology class and then send it to your bolts by setting new values in the Config<https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/0.9.x-branch/storm-core/src/jvm/backtype/storm/Config.java> object that gets submitted with the topology. They will then be available to use through the stormConf map<https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/storm-core/src/jvm/backtype/storm/topology/IBasicBolt.java#L25> in the prepare() method of each of your bolts.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:21 PM Garcia-Contractor, Joseph (CORP) <Jo...@adp.com>> wrote:
So we have ourselves a topology that we need to pass an external variable to on load of the jar file.  We thought that the way to do this was to add additional arguments to storm.yaml for the worker:

worker.childopts: "-Xmx805306368 -Dmongodb.hosts=mongo.host -Dmongodb.ports=27017"

However the topology does not appear to be picking this up.

We also tried adding those arguments to the options to nimbus.childopts and supervisor.childopts.

Also tried from the command line of storm:

  storm jar mytopo.jar my.topo.foo.bar mytopo -Dmongodb.hosts=mongo.host -Dmongodb.ports=27017

Is there a way to do this?

Joe
This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.