Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Anton <te...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/08 16:01:21 UTC

Writing Volunteer

Hi,
I am an experienced software developer (old school!) and I am interested in becoming a technical writer.

I would love to help with any writing tasks for your project.

I am very good at English, and I understand the SDLC.
I have written many User Guides and IT Procedures too.

I am also trying to volunteer to write API documentation and Readme files for other open source software projects.

I am becoming more and more familiar with HTML/CSS/Javascript and JQuery, having been on a few courses.
Please let me know how I can contribute.

Regards,
Peter
07839 201 848

Re: Writing Volunteer

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Peter Anton wrote:
> Hi,
> I am an experienced software developer (old school!) and I am interested in becoming a technical writer.
>
> I would love to help with any writing tasks for your project.
>
> I am very good at English, and I understand the SDLC.
> I have written many User Guides and IT Procedures too.
>
> I am also trying to volunteer to write API documentation and Readme files for other open source software projects.
>
> I am becoming more and more familiar with HTML/CSS/Javascript and JQuery, having been on a few courses.
> Please let me know how I can contribute.
>
> Regards,
> Peter
> 07839 201 848

Peter;

An effort was started sometime back to write an online user guide on our
media wiki (m-wiki) installation and can be found at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide, along with a
status document at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Status.

The original concept was for it to be a highly structured set of pages
starting with general concepts applicable to the entire suite with links
to pages with more detail for each of the individual applications. This
effort has been stalled for quite some time for a myriad of reasons.

If you are interested in helping to revive this effort then to start you
should review the Intro to documentation page at
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html and subscribe to
the documentation mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to
mailto:doc-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org and follow the instructions
in the follow-up e-mail.

Two things to be aware of: First, there currently are no experienced
tech writers to do any mentoring in the art of technical writing; and
second because of the first there is no assigning of tasks. Because of
the later communication of what one is working on is imperative and
needs to be done on the doc@ mailing list.

Once you subscribe to the doc@ list send a short message introducing
yourself and we can carry one from there.

I look forward to seeing you at doc@ and working with you.

Regards
Keith

Re: Writing Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter

Have you checked out http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html
?

All the best
:) Peter

Peter Anton <te...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 8. Nov. 2016, 19:54:

> Hi,
> I am an experienced software developer (old school!) and I am interested
> in becoming a technical writer.
>
> I would love to help with any writing tasks for your project.
>
> I am very good at English, and I understand the SDLC.
> I have written many User Guides and IT Procedures too.
>
> I am also trying to volunteer to write API documentation and Readme files
> for other open source software projects.
>
> I am becoming more and more familiar with HTML/CSS/Javascript and JQuery,
> having been on a few courses.
> Please let me know how I can contribute.
>
> Regards,
> Peter
> 07839 201 848
>

> --

Disclaimer: Diese Nachricht stammt aus einem Google Account. Ihre Antwort
wird in der Google Cloud Gespeichert und durch Google Algorythmen zwecks
werbeanaöysen gescannt. Es ist derzeit nicht auszuschließen das ihre
Nachricht auch durch einen NSA Mitarbeiter geprüft wird. Durch
kommunikation mit diesen Account stimmen Sie zu das ihre Mail, ihre
Kontaktdaten und die Termine die Sie mit mir vereinbaren online zu Google
konditionen in der Googlecloud gespeichert wird. Sollten sie dies nicht
wünschen kontaktieren sie mich bitte Umgehend um z.B. alternativen zu
verhandeln.

Re: Writing Volunteer

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/08/2016 05:01 PM, schrieb Peter Anton:
> I am an experienced software developer (old school!) and I am interested in becoming a technical writer.
>
> I would love to help with any writing tasks for your project.
>
> I am very good at English, and I understand the SDLC.
> I have written many User Guides and IT Procedures too.
>
> I am also trying to volunteer to write API documentation and Readme files for other open source software projects.
>
> I am becoming more and more familiar with HTML/CSS/Javascript and JQuery, having been on a few courses.
> Please let me know how I can contribute.

Peter, welcome to the project.

@Keith:
Maybe you can take over this request as it's about technical writing.
Eventually there is a topic that you both can work on.

Marcus