Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/11 03:27:50 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons NET 3.1` based on RC1

This is a vote to release Apache Commons NET 3.1 based on RC1.

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because...

tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_3_1_RC1/ (r1242993)

site:
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/NET_3_1_RC1/site/

The Javadocs (1.4.1) link does not work, nor does the download link.
These will be OK once the site is deployed.

Source and binary archives (tar.gz and .zip) and Maven jars:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-218/

[The tar.gz and .zip files will be moved to dist/commons/net before
promoting the Maven jars to release status]

Vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons NET 3.1` based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 February 2012 20:42, Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> same problem with site generation here.
>
> In addition to Gary's findings I just noticed a very minor detail: The
> Built-By header in the manifest does not contain the actual user name, but
> just the text 'User'. Was this intended?

No, I forgot to provide the user name.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I think I've fixed all the items mentioned (and I found another
problem - the downloaded JIRA list was for 3.0 amd 3.0.1 only).

I hope to create RC2 by end of Tuesday, so if there is anything else
that must be fixed please let me know ASAP.

Meanwhile, I'm cancelling this vote.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 February 2012 16:09, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> Sorry, -1: I get a build failure with my default set up using
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-218/commons-net/commons-net/3.1/
> *commons-net-3.1-src.zip*. The checkstyle XML files are missing.
>
> Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 03:44:56-0500)
> Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.0.4\bin\..
> Java version: 1.6.0_29, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
> Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_29\jre
> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
> OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.0:site (default-site) on
> project commons-net: Error during page generation: Error re
> ndering Maven report: Failed during checkstyle execution: Unable to find
> configuration file at location C:\temp\*commons-net-3.1-src/checkstyle.xm*l:
> Could not fi
> nd resource 'C:\temp\commons-net-3.1-src/checkstyle.xml'. -> [Help 1]
> [ERROR]

Strictly speaking the site build is not relevant to a release, but I
agree the xml file should have been included.

> I also get this warning at the begining which sounds related:
>
> [WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model
> for commons-net:commons-net:jar:3.1
> [WARNING] 'reporting.plugins.plugin.version' for
> org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin is missing. @ line 340, column 21
> [WARNING]

No, that is deliberate (and unrelated).

I raised this very issue myself a while back and was told that the
findbugs version should be omitted - I think the idea was that it then
picks up the latest version.

But if the consensus is to lock down all versions, I'm happy to change that.

> Also, based on http://people.apache.org/~sebb/NET_3_1_RC1/site/:
>
> - Findbugs reports one issue. The code says:
>
> *//$FALL-THROUGH$ TODO change this if DEVICE_TYPE implemented
>
> *
>
> Is* $FALL-THROUGH$** *a special Findbugs comment designed to avoid avoid
> the issue being reported?

It's an Eclipse marker.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebb,