Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Andrei Lenkei <al...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/03 09:34:41 UTC

How do I turn on keyword substitution?

Hi,

I found out about Subversion from the Linux Journal and since it looks
like a great thing I've decided to become an early adopter. I've got
everything up and running but I have a few questions about keyword
substitution.

I have searched the doc and the archive but haven't found the answers.
If they are there please excuse me, maybe you could point me in the
right direction?

My questions are:

1) How do I turn on keyword substitution? For a file? For my whole project?

2) Which CVS keywords are supported? While searching through the archive
I noticed a posting that said $Log$ was NOT supported (and it was the
one I was using!) hence my question.

Many thanks in advance,
Andrei

Re: How do I turn on keyword substitution?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
[cc'ing the dev list back]

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 10:21, Andrei Lenkei wrote:

> I'm also looking for a project to do in java as I'm learning the
> language (I find it's easier when I have something concreete I'm trying
> to implement) and it looks like writing a Svn GUI might be a  good
> start. I don't have anything yet but I might get in touch when I do. Do
> you know of any on-going efforts in this area?

There's work on a COM object in progress, so that a MS VB gui can be
written.  There's work on a Gnome GUI that's not yet checked into our
tree, but soon will be (I've seen it run firsthand!).

As for Java, we have a set of bindings in progress, so you might be able
to work on a Java GUI.  Alex Mueller is the one to talk to about those
bindings.

Re: How do I turn on keyword substitution?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 03:34, Andrei Lenkei wrote:

> 1) How do I turn on keyword substitution? For a file? For my whole project?

Use 'svn propset' to set the 'svn:keywords' property on a file.

> 2) Which CVS keywords are supported? While searching through the archive
> I noticed a posting that said $Log$ was NOT supported (and it was the
> one I was using!) hence my question.

The value of the property is a space-delimited list of keywords that you
want to activate.  The choices are (taken from svn_types.h)

/* The most recent revision in which this file was changed. */
#define SVN_KEYWORD_REVISION_LONG    "LastChangedRevision"
#define SVN_KEYWORD_REVISION_SHORT   "Rev"

/* The most recent date (repository time) when this file was changed. */
#define SVN_KEYWORD_DATE_LONG        "LastChangedDate"
#define SVN_KEYWORD_DATE_SHORT       "Date"

/* Who most recently committed to this file. */
#define SVN_KEYWORD_AUTHOR_LONG      "LastChangedBy"
#define SVN_KEYWORD_AUTHOR_SHORT     "Author"

/* The URL for the head revision of this file. */
#define SVN_KEYWORD_URL_LONG         "HeadURL"
#define SVN_KEYWORD_URL_SHORT        "URL"

...you can use either the long or short form of each keyword in your
document, and in the value of the svn:keywords property.  It's up to
you.

Sorry for the lack of documentation.  This is a relatively new, untested
feature.  When we hit alpha, we'll cover these holes.  :-)