Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 01:44:08 UTC

[VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating (candidate 5)

Hi,

This is the fifth candidate for the first incubator release for Apache
Kafka, version 0.7.0-incubating. There were 2 critical bugs found in
RC4 - KAFKA-160 and KAFKA-161. This candidate is published to fix
those.

It also fixes the following issues:
http://people.apache.org/~nehanarkhede/kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-5/RELEASE-NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Nov 3rd, 6 pm

Note that we are voting upon the source (revision), binaries are
provided for convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~nehanarkhede/kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-5/

The SVN revision to be voted upon:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/branches/0.7@1195721

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/KEYS

Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote upon the release after a
successful PPMC vote before any release can be made official.

Thanks,
Neha

Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating (candidate 5)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Nov 2, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Jay Kreps wrote:

> I think we should revamp all the docs. There are changes to the consumer as
> well, and some of the quickstart and config docs are just bad. The design
> doc also needs to be updated with the new changes.
>
> Presumably that can be done asynchronously from the release itself.

Yep.

I'm quite busy today but should be able to inspect the release candidate tonight.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre-Yves <py...@smallrivers.com>.
Publishing to maven will be very important for users of the client
library. Since there's no separate project for that I think it is
essential, though not related to the way the daemon is distributed.

As for the daemon, it indeed seems inadequate to impose fiddling with
SBT to consumers of the daemon since some will not be using it from
scala and will have issues getting it to work.

Excited about the upcoming release!

 - pyr

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 18:21:29 -0800

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I didn't see this. I'm subscribed to kafka-dev, but not kafka-users.

As Alan has often stated, issues like these are judgement calls. Kafka
may bundle ASL-compatible jars with its release tarball. Other
projects, like Hadoop, have done this in the past. I have almost no
experience distributing or consuming Scala projects, so I can't say
anything about downstream users' expectations. Speaking generally:

In its favor, the "out of the box" experience is simpler,
configuration is trivial, one can use the software without net access,
and FAQs on handling common quirks in a user's environment are shorter
for it. Against it, the distribution is considerably larger than it
needs to be, projects depending on this one may endure more
integration hassles, and the licensing for redistribution (auditing
each jar, ensuring all attribution clauses are satisfied, etc.) is
avoidable pain. The ASF is principally about producing source code,
but if the project wants to generate and distribute a tarball with
binary artifacts then I know of no policy preventing it.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Alan/Chris,

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 on two separate distributions

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Taylor Gautier <tg...@tagged.com>.
My $.02

Posted by Taylor Gautier <tg...@tagged.com>.
My $.02

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
It would...

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
It would...

Posted by Mark <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 11/03/2011 04:11 PM, Chris Burroughs wrote:
> To Alan and Jay's point, I don't think there is a need to distribut the
> ./boot jars.

And I think the same applies to test dependencies.

Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating (candidate 5)

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
To Alan and Jay's point, I don't think there is a need to distribut the
./boot jars.

I thought we went over the rest in KAFKA-142, but looking back it
doesn't sound as definitive.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating (candidate 5)

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
>> I think this is due to sbt depending on scala 2.7.7. Will that go away with the sbt upgrade?

Yes.

As for the docs, we will update all docs once we pass the vote on the RC.

Thanks,
Neha

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1